Hoping she is wrong.

kesrchicky16

Songster
Dec 13, 2016
I bought 2 "pullets" from someone the end of August that were 2.5 months old at that time. I knew she was concerned about her babies and so I decided to sent her update photos at what would now be about 5.5 months. Her response was that the one is turning I to a beautiful rooster. I don't fault her just hoping she is wrong as my Aunt can't have roos and she is totally enamoured and has been handling "him" and her grandkids have been playing with "him".

The Tan is called Penny and is an Icelandic. The white is a Columbia Plymouth Rock and currently called Henny.

20171122_133415.jpg
20171122_133437.jpg
20171122_133447.jpg
20171122_133449.jpg

I agree, it does look a bit roosterish.. maybe if you could send some photos of its back feathers I could tell you for certain. If you can't or don't want to keep a rooster, hobby farms will often take them for free and not eat them
I have a hobby farm, I don't want everyone's roosters, and my extras get eaten. We don't want everyone's cats either. :)

Just tell me you don't eat the extra cats.
Lol. Nope but I almost taught a couple to fly tonight. I found a mouse in the bottom of an empty grain barrel. Wasn't too thrilled with the first couple cats to come since they seemed more interested in loves then fresh dinner. Yes I love I'm My farm cats. And I don't name most birds. You don't name something you might have to eat. Although I will make an exception when the death is in defence of my babies. And Henry is a beautiful bird. I will go get better pics tomorrow and tall with my Aunt.

I will take anything I have room for. My cats get to decide if new cats move in. I'm maxed on roos right now but we'll watch everyone's manners and might make room for him soon.
Sorry, I was just trying to be funny, but people do think us country folks want all their critters. I can keep only so many roosters, and too many cats get dumped out here. That is sad. Hopefully you can find a place for him.

Sorry, I was just trying to be funny, but people do think us country folks want all their critters. I can keep only so many roosters, and too many cats get dumped out here. That is sad. Hopefully you can find a place for him.
I totally understand. We had 18 cat at one point. All unrelated! Mom fixed them all and eventuallt they all died and no new ones got dropped off. I've fought to get my new cats. 3 sets of unwanted farm kittens. Finally got some to stick around and they were good mousers. Let them have kittens now the ones I kept intact are on birth control.

So my follow up question will be. What can I mix him with for pretty babies? I own white rocks, buff Orpington (2 Of which I'm fighting broody right now), RIR, a white laced buff polish, dark Brahma, silver laced Wyandotte, speckled Sussex, and barred rock. ADDED and EE

I will suggest to her that I rehome a couple of my hens and if I still have a broody in a month give it a nestful. And let her keep any female chicks she wants. I can't split my flock too much. I only have 21 females and have 2 roos with them now.

I have a hobby farm, I don't want everyone's roosters, and my extras get eaten. We don't want everyone's cats either. :)

Agreed. Every now and then, I have some one who wants me to take their chickens. Nope. Not gonna happen. Closed flock here.

my youngest boy won't go out at all.

Time to eat that trouble maker roo and replace him with this gorgeous youngster.

So my follow up question will be. What can I mix him with for pretty babies? I own white rocks, buff Orpington (2 Of which I'm fighting broody right now), RIR, a white laced buff polish, dark Brahma, silver laced Wyandotte, speckled Sussex, and barred rock. ADDED and EE

All of the above! I love barn yard mix chicks.

Back
Top Bottom