Hoping to Become A Mini Hatchery/Breeder

I Love Layers

Crowing
5 Years
Apr 25, 2015
So I love my birds and I've decided that in 2017 I want to kick start a mini hatchery.

I'm hoping to become NPIP certified later this year or Fall 2017.

I will only have 5 breeds that I will offer, but I will try make those breeds be the best that they can possibly can.
I'm thinking of offering Black Copper Marans, Swedish Flower Hens, Pearl White Leghorns and Isbars. I currently breed SQ and BQ large fowl blue Cochins too.

My idea is that from March 1st through July 31st I will be running a mini hatchery, most of my eggs will go into the incubators, and only loyal customers will be getting eggs for consumption.

The other 7 months out of the year I will use the eggs for consumption.

I still have to make a business plan etc.

But I'm wondering if anyone has any tips one what should be included in it, or ideas of any sort.

i was curious to this as well but I see no one responded. Layers did you find any good sources of information on this subject?

So I love my birds and I've decided that in 2017 I want to kick start a mini hatchery.

I'm hoping to become NPIP certified later this year or Fall 2017.

I will only have 5 breeds that I will offer, but I will try make those breeds be the best that they can possibly can.
I'm thinking of offering Black Copper Marans, Swedish Flower Hens, Pearl White Leghorns and Isbars. I currently breed SQ and BQ large fowl blue Cochins too.

My idea is that from March 1st through July 31st I will be running a mini hatchery, most of my eggs will go into the incubators, and only loyal customers will be getting eggs for consumption.

The other 7 months out of the year I will use the eggs for consumption.

I still have to make a business plan etc.

But I'm wondering if anyone has any tips one what should be included in it, or ideas of any sort.
I run a mini hatchery similar to what you describe. I sold lots of chicks in 2016, but expenses are higher than you expect in the beginning, so don't expect to make enough to quit your day job. I do have a lot of ideas I could offer you, PM me if you have specific questions. I might be able to help with business related info also, I have an MBA and am a serial entrepreneur in my spare time. I think millennials refer to this as having a "side hustle" (like it's something they invented, LOL).

Correct me if I'm wrong and I hope I am, but Pearl White Leghorns will not breed back true if breeding a PWL cock with a PWL hen. I just bought some PWL chicks from Murray McMurray, in hopes, that I could breed them to keep a strain going for egg production, but with research I found that the Pearl White is a hybrid. My understanding is hybrids of any species will not breed back true to its initial genetic trait. Basically, instead of building upon the genetics through breeding, it's right the opposite. If anyone has information on how to achieve Pearl White's through Pearl White breeding or through other breeding means, please bestow that information upon me. After I read up, it seems that Murray McMurray makes the claim to only possess Pearl White Leghorn genetics.

Correct me if I'm wrong and I hope I am, but Pearl White Leghorns will not breed back true if breeding a PWL cock with a PWL hen. I just bought some PWL chicks from Murray McMurray, in hopes, that I could breed them to keep a strain going for egg production, but with research I found that the Pearl White is a hybrid. My understanding is hybrids of any species will not breed back true to its initial genetic trait. Basically, instead of building upon the genetics through breeding, it's right the opposite. If anyone has information on how to achieve Pearl White's through Pearl White breeding or through other breeding means, please bestow that information upon me. After I read up, it seems that Murray McMurray makes the claim to only possess Pearl White Leghorn genetics.
I think they will breed true enough for your needs. Commercial white leghorns are often hybrids of 2 strains, one fast feathering and 1 slow. That allows them to feather sex the chicks and sell only pullet chicks. You would lose the sexing capability, but otherwise the chicks will grow up to be perfectly fine layers.

The bigger issue with white leghorns for sale as chicks is that you will be selling them straight run and competing directly against big hatcheries that sex them and sell the pullets cheap. The going rate for pullet chicks is $2.75 - $3.00 each. You cannot make a profit at this price, even if you were able to sex them accurately. Since you are selling them as straight runs, I expect you will be hard pressed to get even $1 each for the chicks.

My best advice for you if you want to start a hatchery is to select breeds the big hatcheries do not sell, like Lavender Orpingtons or Tolbunt Polish.

Back
Top Bottom