Hoping to get some chickens soon!

SleepyOwl

Songster
7 Years
Apr 15, 2012
MN
I have wanted chickens for years, but I live in town, and just figured they wouldn't allow it. So, I have been saving the dream for the day when we move to the country (my even bigger dream!) I finally found the ordinance online for my town that says that I CAN have chickens! I haven't actually gotten the permit yet, but plan to do so this week. I have been busy researching to figure out how many chickens I can afford to have. (Minnesota winters = a bigger, insulated coop, which = more money than I want to spend.) I just can't see spending more than a couple hundred bucks for a coop.

Well, I visited my dad yesterday (who I don't see very often, but who shares my love for chickens), and he helped solve that problem. He has lots of chickens, and said I can just bring mine there for the winter. If I just take them there for the coldest 2-3 months of the year, which means I can make a much simpler coop, and not have to worry about it so much. I am hoping to move to the country in the next year or two, and then I can invest in a nice large coop, or hopfully find a property that already has a nice shed waiting to become a home for lots of chickens!

So, I am hoping to get 4-6 chickens. I want a silkie or two, and my dad has a bunch of chicks that are a few weeks old and said he would give me a few! I will also have a place to "retire" my birds when they quit laying, unless of course we become especially attached to any, then they will just stay here instead of becoming soup. ;)

So now I am just trying to figure out which design I want to use for a coop, and if I want to go with a chicken tractor, or a more permanent coop.

frow.gif
&
welcome-byc.gif
from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

Back
Top Bottom