1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hoping to identify an assortment of chicks from the farmers market.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jaruca, May 24, 2011.

1. jaruca

jaruca Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2008
    Georgian Bay, ON
    Hi! I couldn't pass up these 7 cuties at the market this morning, (ok, ok,...and a pair of silkies), and I have no idea what they are!

A, C, D - have feathered feet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Close up of B & C
    [​IMG]

Close up of D
    [​IMG]

My hens are all grown so having chicks again is so exciting. [​IMG] I'm curious as to what they are so any guesses would be much appreciated.
    [Hoping they are not all roosters, [​IMG] lol]

Thanks!

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I have no clue, but they sure are cute. [​IMG]

3. jaruca

May 3, 2008
    Georgian Bay, ON
    Thank you. My son and I have fallen in love with them already! I'm afraid now that they might have been somebody's 'rooster cull' because of their little combs, (ignorance is bliss). We already have a rooster and one is enough for us. Oh well, we'll just enjoy them for now and if they turn out to be boys I'll just have to re-home them.

4. kera!

kera! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Navajo County
    well here goes a & g black australorps and c and cochin e & f EE's and b & d black stars..someone else will chime in tht has alot of experience everyone is so great on here..[​IMG]

5. jaruca

May 3, 2008
    Georgian Bay, ON
    ^Thanks for your feedback. If the two are Black Stars, would that mean they are pullets because of their colouring? (Although one of them has feather-y legs [​IMG]) I also thought Cochin for the white chick and EE's for a couple of them. I've never had an Australorp but they sound like nice birds.

Any guesses on age? I was thinking 4 weeks-ish?

Is it too soon to bother trying to sex them?

Thanks again [​IMG].

Last edited: May 24, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by