1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hops Dangerous for Chickens?

Discussion in 'Nutrition - Sponsored by Purina Poultry' started by jalbert404, Mar 10, 2015.

1. jalbert404

jalbert404 New Egg

Mar 10, 2015
    We have a cattle panel hoop style run/coop for our chickens. I was thinking of growing hops vines on the run this year to give shade (they can grow to 20 ft in a year and die back in the winter). Anyone know if the vine or the hops would be dangerous for laying hens?

2. DrMikelleRoeder

DrMikelleRoeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2014
    There should be no danger. In fact, the ARS (Agricultural Research Service) reported back in 2008 that hops contain a substance that may help to control pathogenic bacteria in the intestines of chickens. More work is being done with the compound of interest to see if it would be a viable alternative to antibiotics in poultry products. I wouldn't go over board feeding hops, though -- you may end up with some interesting flavors in your eggs. :)

3. JJSS89

JJSS89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2014
    E Washington
    Dr. Roeder, I just want to say it's good to read your posts.

[​IMG]

I am sure I speak for many folks on here.

4. jalbert404

jalbert404 New Egg

Mar 10, 2015
    Thank you for the reply. I hadn't even thought about the egg 'flavoring" possibilities, lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by