Horizontal Nipple Waterers... in your opinion, yes or no?

Yes or no?

• Total voters
So wait — you started off with an open waterer, then went to HN? When did you use VN? Sorry if I am confused! :)
I have used just about everything under the sun. Now I use a pigeon open water and transition to HN after a few weeks. If no open waterers available I will start with VN and transition to HN after a few weeks. I actually have a couple containers with both VN and HN mounted to it.

I have used just about everything under the sun. Now I use a pigeon open water and transition to HN after a few weeks. If no open waterers available I will start with VN and transition to HN after a few weeks. I actually have a couple containers with both VN and HN mounted to it.
I’m still on the fence about whether to start off with open W or VN before transitioning to HN. Either way, all will be good! Thanks for sharing your experiences.

That nipple pictured, is that what you are using and does that have a spring in it?
This is the description of the nipples (google translate)
Why should you choose a poultry nipple drinker?
Nipple drinkers are a fantastic system for providing your animals with drinking water, they ensure that water can be kept closed and only give water when the animal asks for it.
The traditional nipples, which are mainly used for rodents, only give water when the animals press against the nipple at the bottom. This works fine for rodents, they drink by licking the nipple. This works much less well for birds and chickens, the animals often do not understand the system, so that they only get a drop of water now and then. Especially on hot days it is important that your animals can handle sufficient drinking water and that they understand where they can get it. This 360 degree nipple has been designed to make the nipple drinking system suitable for chickens and birds. This nipple gives water as soon as it is tapped. It doesn't matter whether this is on the side or the bottom, the animal is always rewarded with a drop of fresh drinking water.
You can order this nipple separately, or in combination with a hook extension (for drinking bottles) or an automatic drinking system.

These nipples are made of stainless steel so they can not rust and have a long life, the system is made in such a way that they are easy to clean and do not leak.

I found a pic of the parts :
240965923.jpg

Last edited:
This is the description of the nipples (google translate)
Why should you choose a poultry nipple drinker?
Nipple drinkers are a fantastic system for providing your animals with drinking water, they ensure that water can be kept closed and only give water when the animal asks for it.
The traditional nipples, which are mainly used for rodents, only give water when the animals press against the nipple at the bottom. This works fine for rodents, they drink by licking the nipple. This works much less well for birds and chickens, the animals often do not understand the system, so that they only get a drop of water now and then. Especially on hot days it is important that your animals can handle sufficient drinking water and that they understand where they can get it. This 360 degree nipple has been designed to make the nipple drinking system suitable for chickens and birds. This nipple gives water as soon as it is tapped. It doesn't matter whether this is on the side or the bottom, the animal is always rewarded with a drop of fresh drinking water.
You can order this nipple separately, or in combination with a hook extension (for drinking bottles) or an automatic drinking system.

These nipples are made of stainless steel so they can not rust and have a long life, the system is made in such a way that they are easy to clean and do not leak.

I found a pic of the parts :
240965923.jpg
Vertical nipples are great for exterior applications. They however are not good for interior use due to getting bedding wet and birds playing with them.

I concur with what everyone is saying. I use VN for chicks once they are a couple days old (open water for the first couple) & then on to HN. I tried babies on HN but they weren't strong enough to push the pin to drink until they were, I think, 4 or 5 weeks though they tried like heck! My big birds have a VN waterer outside that they love to play with so it's messy but in the winter it's strictly heated HN so they don't freeze here. I like the nipples because they are just much cleaner being a closed system.

Back
Top Bottom