Horizontal Nipple Waterers... in your opinion, yes or no?

Yes or no?

• Total voters
I use the Rent-A-Coop nipples.

The key thing being to hand-tighten them so that you don't crack the bucket with the drill attachment.

And to remember that little hole under the rim to break the vacuum if the lid is airtight.
x2 on the rent a coops. About half the price of the dutch ones and I am yet to experience leakage.

If you get the chinese ones buy 2 times what you plan on using. At least half will be bad and leak if not from the start they will develop a leak.

The ones in my main waterer are the good ones (rent a coop). I had a bag of the cheap ones given to me so I built a 2nd waterer in my uncovered run and so far in the past year I've had to replace every one of the 5 at least once. Knock on wood they haven't started leaking again over the past few months but I don't have high hopes for them. They were free so I don't care.

Most of the people that complain about their's leaking went on amazon or fleabay and got the huge bag for like $5. Number of places to cheap out on and I'll be the first to do it but these things aint it.

Thanks! I think I'll plan on the RentACoop ones since it seems most people agree they work pretty good. I don't care too much about price (But has to be under 80$ for 10 or something) as long as they're worth it. Would this work? I think maybe a 10 pack (5 a bucket maybe?) or 12 (4 a bucket) for my 16 girls. I want to have plenty of drinking options in *case* one leaks, which I know is unlikely, but just to be on the safe side. :)

That's what I used. Just don't use that drill attachment!

I spaced the nipples around the buckets by thinking of how big a hen is and how much personal space she might want. I didn't want them close enough to start pecking order trouble while drinking.
Just fyi, i used the drill attachment with no issue. The trick is to pulse the drill for a second at a time, going slow and observing. I used it on a garbage can and a standard 5 gal bucket. No cracks :)

Just fyi, i used the drill attachment with no issue. The trick is to pulse the drill for a second at a time, going slow and observing. I used it on a garbage can and a standard 5 gal bucket. No cracks

Most of my containers are thinner-walled than the usual 5-gallon bucket because they're food-grade containers snagged from my job.

Plastic containersthat once held deli salads, marinated mushrooms, or frosting from the bakery. I can't lift 5 gallons of water so I haven't done a 5-gallon bucket yet. :)

I nearly cracked the egg-salad container tightening by hand so I'm cautious.

Thanks for all the (mostly positive) opinions on these! I'm going to order some (Maybe on Amazon,) any recommendations on brand, or are they mostly the same?

It doesn't get too cold around here (It rarely snows :hit) but I do have a heater for a regular fountain waterer, you just put the waterer on top, so I could see if that works. It automatically turns on at 32 degrees. (Or maybe its a different temperature, I don't really remember)

How quickly did it leak?
within weeks if that.

Back
Top Bottom