Horizontal Nipple Waterers... in your opinion, yes or no?

Yes or no?

• Total voters
Thanks! I think I'll plan on the RentACoop ones since it seems most people agree they work pretty good.
Yes, that's what brand I use also! I've not had many problems with them and I have made multiple waterers, using about 35 nipples. I have used the black drill piece to finish screwing in, but turned it by hand, not a drill.

Last edited:
I don't really trust my heater in something that thin.

I have used the tote with lid through 5 Montana winters now. It gets down to -26F and I have had no issues with the tote. The first tote was replaced last year as it became brittle and cracked. During winter there is a 250 watt stock tank deicer in the tote to keep the water thawed. So far it has never frozen.

Last edited:
That's what I used. Just don't use that drill attachment!

I spaced the nipples around the buckets by thinking of how big a hen is and how much personal space she might want. I didn't want them close enough to start pecking order trouble while drinking.
Ordered!

I have them and think they are great! Everything stays so much cleaner. I do put out large shallow pans of water in shady areas on hot days, too, that I refill a few times during the day, because I've heard about the wattle thing, too, and they can stand in it if they want
I would not recommend putting multiple open water dishes around your property, the water can create a horrible mosquito problem if you live in an area with a higher humidity. Just want to warn you if you start to see an increase in those pestering mosquitoes.

I have used the tote with lid through 5 Montana winters now. It gets down to -26F and I have had no issues with the tote. The first tote was replaced last year as it became brittle and cracked. During winter there is a 250 watt stock tank deicer in the tote to keep the water thawed. So far it has never frozen.

Give ya credit where credit is due but I'm in Arkansas and our winters don't get that cold. I have my heater set up on a timer that only runs for a hour or 2 before the sun comes up in the cold months. I've walked out and the 250 watt heater I got has the 5 gallon bucket hot enough runnin that short amount of time it's luke warm on the outside of the bucket. Good enough for down here.

I would not recommend putting multiple open water dishes around your property, the water can create a horrible mosquito problem if you live in an area with a higher humidity. Just want to warn you if you start to see an increase in those pestering mosquitoes.
Aint that the bloody truth. I have farm ponds around and we have to buy the tablets to float in them to kill skitters.

Now get the 11/32 drill bit, it's not in a standard drill bit set.

I have a machine shop with a lathe and mill but I use the cheap 3 piece harbor freight step drills to drill the holes. The cone shape of a step drill once you learn it matches the taper of the nipples better than the straight side of a normal drill bit.

Give ya credit where credit is due but I'm in Arkansas and our winters don't get that cold. I have my heater set up on a timer that only runs for a hour or 2 before the sun comes up in the cold months. I've walked out and the 250 watt heater I got has the 5 gallon bucket hot enough runnin that short amount of time it's luke warm on the outside of the bucket. Good enough for down here.
The stock tank deicer I use has its own thermostat. It turns on at about 35 degrees and off again at 40. The water never gets warm. It merely stays thawed.

I'll never try them again. A few years ago I tried them. put the bucket on a concrete block the right height. Worked fine for a while, then one of the nipples failed. It leaked, I gather that the spring in it failed. Fortunately I had another water source otherwise the bucket would have drained through that leak leaving the birds without water. I live in the desert.
I always use several waterers. If one waterers gets empty or dirty, there’s always an other water supply.
I use a waterer with a rabbit nipple, a bowl with water and a bottles with a vertical nipple. They know how to use both nipples but prefer the rabbit type.

Normally mosquitoes go through four stages in their life cycle: egg, larva, pupa and adult insect. The females lay their eggs wherever there is standing water for at least one week and the larvae are born in the water and grow there.

If you refresh the open water dishes every day they don’t develop into mosquito 🦟 pools.

Mosquitoes around the house often come from poorly drained roofs and gutters. Or forgotten buckets. 🪣

I give my chickens at least one open source with water. Just because they enjoy it. It’s also a great way to cool down in summer.

Back
Top Bottom