Horizontal Nipple Waterers... in your opinion, yes or no?

Yes or no?

• Total voters
Pics
They came! :celebrate

I probably won't start the chickens on them until after the big heatwave (Going to be REALLY warm, like the 100s) over the next few days, (very unusual for my area,) so I'll start them after that (per @aarts directions)

But after the heatwave... I'm excited! Now to find some big buckets.
I used a 32 gallon plastic trash can. They are still cheaper than a 5 gallon chicken waterer and the black ones inhibit algae growth and come with a cover.

I used a 32 gallon plastic trash can. They are still cheaper than a 5 gallon chicken waterer and the black ones inhibit algae growth and come with a cover.
Hmm... I'm not exactly sure where I would put one that has a flat enough area in my run... but I'll definitely think about it! How many HN per 32 gallon trash can?

Hmm... I'm not exactly sure where I would put one that has a flat enough area in my run... but I'll definitely think about it! How many HN per 32 gallon trash can?
And how many trash cans for 16 chickens?

I ideally wanted to have a few spread out around the run because some of the chickens get bullied...

I have one can, 5 nipples, 20 chickens. I fill the can once or twice a month. It would be less but I use it as a water reservoir to water my rabbits everyday. I have it set off the ground on cinder blocks. Different size concrete blocks cost a dollar or two at home depot and can be used to level it out.

I have one can, 5 nipples, 20 chickens. I fill the can once or twice a month. It would be less but I use it as a water reservoir to water my rabbits everyday. I have it set off the ground on cinder blocks. Different size concrete blocks cost a dollar or two at home depot and can be used to level it out.

You could always get two smaller cans and put 4 nipples on each, one can on each end of the run. :)

Thanks!

is there no spigot close enough to the coop? it's easy enough to run a line with a trencher yourself...
I’d rather not do that... nearest faucet is attached to the house.
Unless you have a tons of birds, just carry out a jug of water each morning to top off the waterer. Mine don't drink more than a gallon a day.
I’ll probably do this. I’m not that strong (sometimes I get tired even carrying the 50lb chicken feed bags, especially when it hot out) and even carrying a 3 gallon, sloshing water container is a pain.

Back
Top Bottom