Horizontal Nipple Waterers... in your opinion, yes or no?

Yes or no?

• Total voters
Pics
I tried two different 12 gallon waterers with cups last year, and both of them developed some algae/slime within a month. I cleaned and disinfected them, and tried again. Same thing. How do you guys keep the water and containers from this?

I tried two different 12 gallon waterers with cups last year, and both of them developed some algae/slime within a month. I cleaned and disinfected them, and tried again. Same thing. How do you guys keep the water and containers from this?
I keep mine in the coop, never had algae issues.

Mine were in the coop too. I just couldn’t figure it out, though I’d say the chickens loved them while the water was fresh. With what I’m reading here, I’m thinking of trying to give it another go with new buckets.
Hmmmm, I dunno!
Was waterer in direct sunlight?
Well water or city water....maybe organisms already exist in the water?

Hmmmm, I dunno!
Was waterer in direct sunlight?
Well water or city water....maybe organisms already exist in the water?
They weren’t in direct sunlight, but it did get warm in there. I’ve since increased ventilation and it is much more comfortable. That may be all it was. It is well water, but we also use the same water for us, our dog and a couple aquariums. The water is very hard, but no organisms that we know of.

Thanks for brainstorming this with me. I’ll look into the waterers again. It sure would make some things more convenient.

I currently have those plain old chicken waterers, you know, these: (not my photo, and not the exact ones, but basically the same)
View attachment 2724261View attachment 2724262

I share a flock with my sister (@Starburst) and I have been really wanting to switch to this style, especially as we have rats (trying to get rid of them!) and I’ve seen them drink from the fountain waterers, which is NOT sanitary.

Another reason is that they basically splash the water up with their dirty feet and muddy it, and spill the water. I have to refill the two watered very often, which is a pain when one is 3 gallons and the hose is pretty far.

All in all, seems more sanitary, less work, however I do have some reservations. Well, more like Star has some reservations.

Here are her reservations:

Would stress them?

Unnatural?

How would you retrain them?

Chickens should be able to dip their combs in water. (I’m not sure about this one, but that’s what she says)

A few of my questions:

Where is the best place to purchase them?

How many can fit on a 2-3 gallon bucket (I don’t want to lift anything heavier than that)

How many for 16 chickens?

At what age can they start using them? (I have 3, 5 week olds, 7, 15 week olds, and the other 6 are full grown hens)

anyway, any help is appreciated!
Back in the middle of June of 2020, we put our sex link chicks in our newly built chicken coop / run (previously raised in a watermelon box in the house) and switched them over from a mason jar chick waterer to the chicken nipple bucket. We left the mason jar type in the run in case they wouldn't adapt to their new source. When they approached the 1 1/2 gallon chicken nipple bucket that was sitting on a cement block, we would tap on the nipples and let them see the water coming out. They caught on how to use them that week and have been using the (3) nipple buckets since. Everyday we scrub the buckets/nipples (sometimes they will get caked with dirt) and let them dry out overnight to prevent any bacterial growth from happening.
During the winter months, when the temperatures drop below 20, we would exchange their bucket out with a new nipple bucket that would have warmer water in it because the nipples will freeze when it gets too cold.
In my opinion, these chicken nipples are the best invention since they came out with the idea of sliced bread.
We bought our 1st batch of chicken nipples (10) from Amazon and later ordered a 2nd batch so we could make up some spare buckets for easy bucket exchange during the winter months.
They can be expensive but the convenience and no dirty or spilled water, out weighs the cost. When you buy the nipples, try to buy the kind that provides a drill bit tool to install them. We found this style to work better, needs no plumbing tape on the threads, comes with a build in gasket and less chance of leakage. You can install 3 to 4 nipples per bucket for 10 birds if they only have access to 1/2 of the bucket or install 6 -7 nipples to wrap around the whole bucket if the chickens will have access on all sides. A lid must be installed on the top of the bucket with a 1/8" hole drilled in order to allow the water to flow out of the nipples.

I use cup waters, with well water, and keep them inside the coop also. I haven't had any problems with algae or slime so far. They get hot in there but no direct sunlight.

As another person mentioned I too tried them with my 8 week old chicks and seemed some got it but not all and this concerned me so I too switched to the cups. Just got them and will exchange them out today. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom