Horizontal nipple waterers

galvinj

Chirping
Feb 18, 2015
Rhode Island
Quick question:
Picking up my four Black Austrolop pullets, 4 -6 weeks old, next week. Can't wait, first time with chickens and I found a breeder who has won numerous awards for his stock.
I plan on using the horizontal nipple waterers.
Am I correct in assuming that you make the pullets beak touch the nipple so they know how to drink from it?
Posting pics of my new coop and hopefully predator proof run when I get them. Hardware cloth all around with an apron. Thanks to all the great advice on this site!!

John

Take this with a grain of salt, our first chickens do not arrive until June but 3 chicken books later and lurking on the forum I think I can impart what I have read...

There seems to be at least two methods for introducing the nipples, one is to just sit with your chicks and tap the nipple causing it to drip until your chicks notice it and peck at it themselves...the second I have read is to attach a rubber band to the nipple causing it to drip and remove the next day once the chicks are drinking from it. When the flow stops they peck it causing it to drip. Best of luck.

Take this with a grain of salt, our first chickens do not arrive until June but 3 chicken books later and lurking on the forum I think I can impart what I have read...

There seems to be at least two methods for introducing the nipples, one is to just sit with your chicks and tap the nipple causing it to drip until your chicks notice it and peck at it themselves...the second I have read is to attach a rubber band to the nipple causing it to drip and remove the next day once the chicks are drinking from it.  When the flow stops they peck it causing it to drip.  Best of luck.
Thank you for your help!

I am currently using the vertical type, but plan on switching to the horizontal. It took less than 10 seconds for all 9 to catch on with the vertical & since they're all red colored, I don't think they will have a problem figuring it out. My observation is chickens are a lot smarter than people give them credit for. It seems the horizontal type waste less water.

Last edited:
I had great success with them yesterday with my newly arrived chicks. This is what I did, as I was taking them out of the box one by one to inspect them I would hold them in front of it before I put them in and gently touch their beak to it or tap it will my finger while they were watching me. One caught on, and within minutes all 15 where using it. I did have a couple slower ones that I showed them how to us it twice but I just sat and observed until I was sure they had all caught on. It went great. I agree that people do not give chickens credit for their smartness. LOL

Just prime the nipples by tapping them yourself until a few drips fill the cup and then leave it. The chicks will discover the cups filled with water drops when they are thirsty and naturally peck at the nipple for more. If you're worried they won't get it, prime the nipples and then one by one, place each bird's beak in the water droplet that collects in the cup so they will remember where the water is, and then leave them to it.

I had my chicks on hamster water bottles in the brooder and switched them to horizontal nipples in the coop. No sweat, they figured it out in 10 seconds.

Horizontal nipples are the best--so say the experts, and so far I'd have to agree. No leaks and with a birdbath heater and fingers crossed, no freezing next winter.

Back
Top Bottom