Hormone injections

I know this thread is regarding ducks but I am hoping someone here can advise about a chicken getting the injectable or implant hormone therapy.

I have a d’uccle that is hopefully on her way to recovery from EYP. She is improving and still on her Baytril. I have supplemented calcium 5X and given egg shells but she has not laid in a 8-9 days and I’m concerned she will lay internally again.

Her healthy weight is 750 grams. She went down to 614 grams and is now trending up the last 48 hrs and currently at 630 grams.

I am still syringe feeding some but she is eating on her own a bit.

I have a vet checking into pricing the implants. I will have to purchase all of them because he doesn’t believe he will use them. He said it will be expensive.

Fluffernutter is a pet. She goes between the house and her flock daily, of her own free choice. I have considered keeping her as a house chicken as she loves ours’ and the dogs’ company.

My question is about her size. She is so tiny that I would think a normal implant dose would be too much. I did not realize there are also injections available. Maybe that would be a better option for her size?

How bad are the side effects?

She has only been laying for a few weeks but all her eggs had strong shells. Should I wait to see if this is a one off from stress (which she was significantly stressed by a friend’s boys rough handling when they checked on our flock for us) before jumping into hormone therapy? She was laying fine until this stressful experience.

Any advice, experience or input is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

I know this thread is regarding ducks but I am hoping someone here can advise about a chicken getting the injectable or implant hormone therapy.

I have a d’uccle that is hopefully on her way to recovery from EYP. She is improving and still on her Baytril. I have supplemented calcium 5X and given egg shells but she has not laid in a 8-9 days and I’m concerned she will lay internally again.

Her healthy weight is 750 grams. She went down to 614 grams and is now trending up the last 48 hrs and currently at 630 grams.

I am still syringe feeding some but she is eating on her own a bit.

I have a vet checking into pricing the implants. I will have to purchase all of them because he doesn’t believe he will use them. He said it will be expensive.

Fluffernutter is a pet. She goes between the house and her flock daily, of her own free choice. I have considered keeping her as a house chicken as she loves ours’ and the dogs’ company.

My question is about her size. She is so tiny that I would think a normal implant dose would be too much. I did not realize there are also injections available. Maybe that would be a better option for her size?

How bad are the side effects?

She has only been laying for a few weeks but all her eggs had strong shells. Should I wait to see if this is a one off from stress (which she was significantly stressed by a friend’s boys rough handling when they checked on our flock for us) before jumping into hormone therapy? She was laying fine until this stressful experience.

Any advice, experience or input is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but since your bird has EYP, she isn't producing shells anyway?
So I imagine the injections would work okay in that situation. It's definitely worth discussing with your vet.
Isn't EYP an on going problem? Can't really be cured, but can be treated?
It may be worth asking your vet about spay ops, if so, as hormonal injections would be expensive and ongoing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but since your bird has EYP, she isn't producing shells anyway?
So I imagine the injections would work okay in that situation. It's definitely worth discussing with your vet.
Isn't EYP an on going problem? Can't really be cured, but can be treated?
It may be worth asking your vet about spay ops, if so, as hormonal injections would be expensive and ongoing.
I am guessing EYP because of symptoms and her poop. She was fine up to Friday, when we left, stressed Saturday, Sunday night I gave her some mash and Monday morning she was unwell. I honestly don’t know what caused her to go down so quickly.
Baytril, tube feedings, rest and extra cuddles are helping her to recover.

Edit: she laid eggs with strong shells up until and on the Friday we left. She was her normal self, eating, drinking, social and nothing was out of sorts. It was really quite sudden. All I can think is that Saturday, when she became a petting zoo chicken, really stressed her out🤷🏼‍♀️

I am guessing EYP because of symptoms and her poop. She was fine up to Friday, when we left, stressed Saturday, Sunday night I gave her some mash and Monday morning she was unwell. I honestly don’t know what caused her to go down so quickly.
Baytril, tube feedings, rest and extra cuddles are helping her to recover.

Edit: she laid eggs with strong shells up until and on the Friday we left. She was her normal self, eating, drinking, social and nothing was out of sorts. It was really quite sudden. All I can think is that Saturday, when she became a petting zoo chicken, really stressed her out🤷🏼‍♀️
What do you mean when you say that she became a petting zoo chicken? Did her routine/environment change?
Do you have any pictures of her poop? And any recent photos of her so that I can see how she's standing

What do you mean when you say that she became a petting zoo chicken? Did her routine/environment change?
Do you have any pictures of her poop? And any recent photos of her so that I can see how she's standing
Normally she goes between the house and outside, her free choice, and gets extra mash and quiet when inside and free ranges outside with the flock. Normally her life is very peaceful with only me and my very quiet/low key son.
My friend brought 2 of her rowdy boys on Saturday. My rules are no running, yelling or picking up our chickens. Well that did not happen. They were loud, running and constantly picking up and passing Fluffy because she is very human friendly. They were also grabbing her on the sides instead of sliding their hands underneath so I don’t know how hard they were squeezing her sides. I spoke through the camera and they stopped doing it. I watched the footage later and saw/heard the chaos.

Edit: we were gone for the weekend and I offered her the eggs if she chose. I did not ask her to care for the chickens. I did not think she would bring her boys and allow that behavior when it is against my rules. I am really still stunned over this situation. She will never be offered this again!

I’ll try to link my current treatment, with pictures, thread.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/lethargic-chicken-not-eating.1577552/page-5#post-26813006

As for the injections
I got lupron for my duck
Avian told me there was no negative but she may still lay till the second shot
All was well after the first shot. Went in got her second shot and within a few days her eggs became very thin shelled. They were breaking as she was laying them
I called the avian vet with concerns
She said it’s not the shot it’s my bird who has egg issues or I’m not giving calcium anything but that shot
Well her egg laying has never been the issues
She has been laying since April of 2022 with no break in winter
Her shells are always nice and hard
Only reason we got the shot is we have been dealing with a fungal infection since dec that they didn’t rest for until end of February march and start fungal meds
Just wanted her to have a break from laying to give her swollen vent area a break from pushing an egg through
She has crushed oyster shells in 2 bowls daily
Other 9 girls have no issue
The shot may not have caused the thin shells directly but it did tell her she wasn’t needing to lay so she wasn’t eating them like she normally does
So yes indirectly this shot caused an issue and it never stopped her from laying eggs either
109.00 every 2 weeks and all it did was put my bird at risk
I myself will never use the injections again
There is other things they can do

As for the injections
I got lupron for my duck
Avian told me there was no negative but she may still lay till the second shot
All was well after the first shot. Went in got her second shot and within a few days her eggs became very thin shelled. They were breaking as she was laying them
I called the avian vet with concerns
She said it’s not the shot it’s my bird who has egg issues or I’m not giving calcium anything but that shot
Well her egg laying has never been the issues
She has been laying since April of 2022 with no break in winter
Her shells are always nice and hard
Only reason we got the shot is we have been dealing with a fungal infection since dec that they didn’t rest for until end of February march and start fungal meds
Just wanted her to have a break from laying to give her swollen vent area a break from pushing an egg through
She has crushed oyster shells in 2 bowls daily
Other 9 girls have no issue
The shot may not have caused the thin shells directly but it did tell her she wasn’t needing to lay so she wasn’t eating them like she normally does
So yes indirectly this shot caused an issue and it never stopped her from laying eggs either
109.00 every 2 weeks and all it did was put my bird at risk
I myself will never use the injections again
There is other things they can do
Thank you for sharing your experience. Definitely gives a different outcome to think about.

Was your duck ok once you stopped them?

And what do you mean by “there are other things they can do”? I’m open to just about anything!
Thanks!

Thank you for sharing your experience. Definitely gives a different outcome to think about.

Was your duck ok once you stopped them?

And what do you mean by “there are other things they can do”? I’m open to just about anything!
Thanks!
There is an insert they can give
I have been giving my duck 1ml durvet calcium for 3 weeks and just lowered it to half for 4 ish days
Today I didn’t give her any and ill see how her eggs go
She is going broody so just hoping she will be done soon

Back
Top Bottom