Hormone injections

New duck mommy 2021

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Oct 19, 2021
Medicine Hat , alberta , Canada
Hi just wondering if anyone has had ducks put on hormone injections to stop egg laying
Long story short my poor dasher has been struggling with gleat issues
They lead to bacterial issues that got antibiotics ( 4 different times for different types ) that lead to further fungal
We are now on fungal meds for 60 days minimum to 90 days
Her vent area is swollen and today on our trip to the avian vet she struggled to lay her egg
The vet thought she might be egg bound and when she left the room my girl pushed and pumped and finally got it out but with great struggle
I was trying to record the pushing so the vet could see what I was talking about and I got her laying the egg on video
We decided it would be best to stop egg laying and let her body heal without the constant trauma of pushing an egg out
She got her first shot today
Of course I worry like crazy and just want to hear from others on what they have experienced having it done
I really hope this helps my baby
We are almost 4 months into this with 2 visits to avian and 15 maybe more to my local vet who the avian vet has been guiding
She hasn’t missed a day of egg laying through all of this
One tuff girl to battle everything and still act normal
She eats , plays , drinks , runs with her flock like nothing is wrong
@Aunt Angus do you have a duck with this type of shot ?
Video of her struggling at the vet clinic

My Abby gets a hormone implant once each year in February. It keeps her from laying through Spring and Summer. Side effects - molting about 2-4 weeks after implant - tired for the first week or two - but still swims, eats, drinks, preens, etc normal. Cost is about $300. Do not go to a Vet that wants to sedate or put under - it’s totally unnecessary and adds complication. The procedure only takes about 5 mins and a competent Vet should be able to do it while you wait. This has been a fantastic solution for our sweet girl.

My Abby gets a hormone implant once each year in February. It keeps her from laying through Spring and Summer. Side effects - molting about 2-4 weeks after implant - tired for the first week or two - but still swims, eats, drinks, preens, etc normal. Cost is about $300. Do not go to a Vet that wants to sedate or put under - it’s totally unnecessary and adds complication. The procedure only takes about 5 mins and a competent Vet should be able to do it while you wait. This has been a fantastic solution for our sweet girl.
Thank you
I will talk to my avian vet and see if this is something they can and will do. Right now they have her on a shot every 2 weeks for 3 months
The cost is 109.00 per shot
This is what they put her on for now
They didn’t give me any other options to pick from but because she is struggling to lay with her vent issues and most eggs have a blood streak from pushing through the swollen vent they wanted to start something right away

Attachments

• 1CC7071A-41CA-4FD1-869A-B502158309C3.png
    1CC7071A-41CA-4FD1-869A-B502158309C3.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 1
Hi just wondering if anyone has had ducks put on hormone injections to stop egg laying
Long story short my poor dasher has been struggling with gleat issues
They lead to bacterial issues that got antibiotics ( 4 different times for different types ) that lead to further fungal
We are now on fungal meds for 60 days minimum to 90 days
Her vent area is swollen and today on our trip to the avian vet she struggled to lay her egg
The vet thought she might be egg bound and when she left the room my girl pushed and pumped and finally got it out but with great struggle
I was trying to record the pushing so the vet could see what I was talking about and I got her laying the egg on video
We decided it would be best to stop egg laying and let her body heal without the constant trauma of pushing an egg out
She got her first shot today
Of course I worry like crazy and just want to hear from others on what they have experienced having it done
I really hope this helps my baby
We are almost 4 months into this with 2 visits to avian and 15 maybe more to my local vet who the avian vet has been guiding
She hasn’t missed a day of egg laying through all of this
One tuff girl to battle everything and still act normal
She eats , plays , drinks , runs with her flock like nothing is wrong
@Aunt Angus do you have a duck with this type of shot ?
Video of her struggling at the vet clinic
I don't have personal experience -- my flock is all drake -- but I read about it as I have half a notion of setting up a duck sanctuary or muscovy haven.

Some sanctuaries do use the injection so that they are not swamped in eggs or ducklings.

I think for a duck with your girl's history, taking a year off laying would be really good for her general health. The main issue is the expense.

Ducky contraception is ridiculously expensive in the USA and then there are the vet fees as the injections are not long lasting and need repeating. And I don't think your avian vet would teach you how to give the injection although will probably let the local vet do it.

I don't have personal experience -- my flock is all drake -- but I read about it as I have half a notion of setting up a duck sanctuary or muscovy haven.

Some sanctuaries do use the injection so that they are not swamped in eggs or ducklings.

I think for a duck with your girl's history, taking a year off laying would be really good for her general health. The main issue is the expense.

Ducky contraception is ridiculously expensive in the USA and then there are the vet fees as the injections are not long lasting and need repeating. And I don't think your avian vet would teach you how to give the injection although will probably let the local vet do it.
She did send me home with an I’ve pack and injections
She said if I feel comfortable doing it I can. It’s 109.00 a shot every 2 weeks
But I’m willing to do whatever it takes for her to get better

She did send me home with an I’ve pack and injections
She said if I feel comfortable doing it I can. It’s 109.00 a shot every 2 weeks
But I’m willing to do whatever it takes for her to get better
I am glad you are able to inject her yourself.

It makes me so angry that medications are so expensive in the USA -- and vetinerary medicines are even more pricey than human ones. I freely tell you, I get my puppy medicines airmail from the UK at less than half the price of Chewy or Walmart [the cheapest sources in the USA.] My puppy medications are over the coutner in the UK but, ta da, require a vet prescription in the USA. There is absolutely no reason why ducky contraception should be anything more than $5 a shot. That is you are being charged $100 mark up by the drug companies.

Sorry rant over.

If you find yourself overstretched with the expense, @New duck mommy 2021, there are some wonderful people on Rescue Ducks Facebook group that might help you with the expense. They have helped with vet bills for other duck keepers.

I am glad you are able to inject her yourself.

It makes me so angry that medications are so expensive in the USA -- and vetinerary medicines are even more pricey than human ones. I freely tell you, I get my puppy medicines airmail from the UK at less than half the price of Chewy or Walmart [the cheapest sources in the USA.] My puppy medications are over the coutner in the UK but, ta da, require a vet prescription in the USA. There is absolutely no reason why ducky contraception should be anything more than $5 a shot. That is you are being charged $100 mark up by the drug companies.

Sorry rant over.

If you find yourself overstretched with the expense, @New duck mommy 2021, there are some wonderful people on Rescue Ducks Facebook group that might help you with the expense. They have helped with vet bills for other duck keepers.
Thank you

For anyone with a duck that needs suppression of ovulation, you might be interested that there is an alternative to short acting injections:

The implant, Deslorelin, is used off label for ducks. It would need to be implanted by a vet. It's the egg laying supressant used by some wildfowl sanctuaries:
http://www.poultrydvm.com/drugs/des...ng hormone (FSH) and luteinizing hormone (LH)

How Hormone Implants Work: Deslorelin controls the secretion of other hormones involved in egg production. Suprelorin is given as an implant that slowly releases a continuous low dose of deslorelin. This suppresses (blocks) the production of follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) and luteinizing hormone (LH).
Note: Deslorelin (Suprelorin, Virbac) is a prescription drug and is available only through veterinarians.
In the United States, it is only approved by the FDA for use in ferrets. In Australia, New Zealand, and the European Union, it is only approved for use in ferrets and dogs. However, there have been numerous research studies conducted on birds, especially egg laying hens which demonstrate the effectiveness of the drug and minimal side effects. FAQs: When does the implant start to work? It may take up to 14 days for the bird to stop laying eggs after the implant is administered. How long do the affects last? The effect lasts for a minimum of four to 8 months, depending on the size of the implant (4.7 vs. 9.4 mg).

See more at: http://www.poultrydvm.com/drugs/deslorelin

Back
Top Bottom