Cookie is just dying of old age?

Jenbirdee

Expecting Miracles
Premium Feather Member
Aug 9, 2020
Maryland
8yo welsh harley hen 'cookie'
over the past couple months she just acts tired. she likes to sit and drink puddles (it rained a lot lately)
so...Ive been giving her poultry cell and B complex (and sometimes Cal Gluc too on and off ). she was walking like she had an egg she wanted to lay and then I found a softshell egg. she was also sitting off by herself a lot (and her tail pumping a little)...
But also my 6 yo pekin hen 'chubbs' was also laying softshell egg here and there in the yard (so I gave her cal gluc and also I gave her poultry cell (and B complex which I give her a couple times a week to help her waddling)
when Cookie was about 4 months old, she and her sister had infected joints in their feet and the vet gave antibiotics which cleared it up but vet also mentioned it could affect her quality life in future (I think he meant not live as long?)
she does not limp. she eats and drinks. but then she hides and rests most of the time when everyone else is running around doing stuff all day.
I dont know if there's anything else I can or should do for her?

So sorry! I have had two females pass away after acting as you describe for over a month. But, I have one who acted that way and I think she was getting picked on by my drake and other hens. When I got rid of that drake, she not only recovered she became top duck. That was last year. She is currently eight yrs old, does not lay eggs, has recently developed cataracts and has limited eye sight. Still, she is hanging tough and a sweetie. I say all this to say that you could be correct and it is age but also, be on the look out for mean ducks. It sounds like you are doing all you can and have given her a good life. :hugs

So sorry! I have had two females pass away after acting as you describe for over a month. But, I have one who acted that way and I think she was getting picked on by my drake and other hens. When I got rid of that drake, she not only recovered she became top duck. That was last year. She is currently eight yrs old, does not lay eggs, has recently developed cataracts and has limited eye sight. Still, she is hanging tough and a sweetie. I say all this to say that you could be correct and it is age but also, be on the look out for mean ducks. It sounds like you are doing all you can and have given her a good life. :hugs
thank you ❤️
i have no drakes for many years now and Cookie has always been in the top 4 lady ducks
i’m retired and i do spend tons of time out with them i’ve seen many fights over the years and she’s been involved in plenty of them but not picked on. she earned her respect ✊ here’s Cookie
A742C3FD-648B-4486-A6EE-D32F2298054E.jpeg

thank you ❤️
i have no drakes for many years now and Cookie has always been in the top 4 lady ducks
i’m retired and i do spend tons of time out with them i’ve seen many fights over the years and she’s been involved in plenty of them but not picked on. she earned her respect ✊ here’s Cookie View attachment 3771991
She's lovely, @Jenbirdee

Cookie is beautiful. I lost by my Muscovy drake 3 weeks ago at age 12.5 yrs he just shut down over night. Main thing when it’s their time to say good by here anyway is they always want to be left alone so I honor that by just being close by and letting them know how special they are to me. Hopefully Cookie will be with you for a time yet. But I can guarantee she knows she’s loved and has been very well cared for. ❤️:hugs

Cookie is beautiful. I lost by my Muscovy drake 3 weeks ago at age 12.5 yrs he just shut down over night. Main thing when it’s their time to say good by here anyway is they always want to be left alone so I honor that by just being close by and letting them know how special they are to me. Hopefully Cookie will be with you for a time yet. But I can guarantee she knows she’s loved and has been very well cared for. ❤️:hugs
I missed your reply previously as I was traveling with only my phone. I didn't spend much time on the internet. I am so sad to read that you lost your muscovy drake, @Miss Lydia. You have written about him often and so i know he was close to your heart. It sounds like it was sudden and without suffering. A good way for a duck to go after a long and characterful life. I know what a loss my Ping was last year. Sending sympathy and cyberhugs

I missed your reply previously as I was traveling with only my phone. I didn't spend much time on the internet. I am so sad to read that you lost your muscovy drake, @Miss Lydia. You have written about him often and so i know he was close to your heart. It sounds like it was sudden and without suffering. A good way for a duck to go after a long and characterful life. I know what a loss my Ping was last year. Sending sympathy and cyberhugs
Thank you @ruthhope your words mean so much to me. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom