Is this bumblefoot?

Magicalducklingmom

In the Brooder
May 14, 2022
My female pekin has this on her foot. It's not changed in a week. So it's not gotten worse. I camt bring her into the house, i have dogs that would destroy her if they got to her so its not safe. I do have an empty chicken pen thats much drier than the duck pens that i coukd put her in. Every fb group always says vet but is it possible to treat her without a vet sucessfully? Because we really would struggle this time of year to afford a poultry vet. I guess if we really have to wed find it .
20231126_114125.jpg

I see you already tried to clean it.
This could very well be bumble feet...

You can treat bumble feet at home! I did it successfully before...

Here is a how-to from @BYC Support
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...our-chickens-with-surgery-graphic-pics.47705/

The things to keep in mind is that puss in ducks is not a liquid but stringy and sold. And that you need to work as clean as possible. After you remove all debris, add some ointment (I would add Iodine ointment like betadine)
And I personally would wrap the foot so no dirt can get in. Change the bandage once every day.

@Miss Lydia do you agree this is bumble foot? And would you separate her in the chicken house when inside is not an option?

I see you already tried to clean it.
This could very well be bumble feet...

You can treat bumble feet at home! I did it successfully before...

Here is a how-to from @BYC Support
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...our-chickens-with-surgery-graphic-pics.47705/

The things to keep in mind is that puss in ducks is not a liquid but stringy and sold. And that you need to work as clean as possible. After you remove all debris, add some ointment (I would add Iodine ointment like betadine)
And I personally would wrap the foot so no dirt can get in. Change the bandage once every day.

@Miss Lydia do you agree this is bumble foot? And would you separate her in the chicken house when inside is not an option?
Thankyou for the advice. Yes we did am Epsom salts bath for as long as she would take it. She's a feisty madam I have a bruise on my hand where she aired her opinions on what I was doing to her. I don't have anywhere indoors. I have a outdoor pen, that's much drier much drier than the duck pen and mostly coveted.

When I treated this, I removed the puss outdoors while sitting at a table.
puppy pad on the table, the duck with her head under my arm and her butt away from me on the puppy pad.
That way I could fixate her without hurting her. I had an assistant who gave me the tweezers / gauze / alcohol / cotton etc. when needed because you need your two hands! (Mine was a cayuga so a big girl too)

You manipulating this scab will hurt her foot... it's normal she put up a bit of protest. In my personal experience this was forgotten within the blink of an eye after I gave her some mealworms when the procedure was done...

there are other ways to treat this as well. someone here claims practically miraculous success without ( correction, after) surgery… just using epsom salt poultice on it and then bandage and wrapping, changing bandages every day or every other day, keeping it dry.

Attachments

• EA6DD34B-6874-4D26-982C-1B4E2C17E19F.png
    EA6DD34B-6874-4D26-982C-1B4E2C17E19F.png
    1 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
there are other ways to treat this as well. someone here claims practically miraculous success without surgery… just using epsom salt poultice on it and then bandage and wrapping, changing bandages every day or every other day, keeping it dry.
I live in the uk is this something I can get here?

Thanks guys. Purchased some on Amazon and more vetwrap. Will do the soaking in the meantime and transfer to the chicken pen dor dryness

Back
Top Bottom