Duck with deformed foot alongside bumblefoot

Chappington

Hatching
Feb 7, 2024
Hello,
I have a female Pekin duck that is 7 months old. When she was born, there was a deformity on her left foot. It's curled into a fist like position. We tried giving Niacin a shot and gently tried to straighten it out using a splint, but to no avail.

Unfortunately months later, she has developed bumblefoot. She will barely walk and her balance is completely gone. She shows signs of being lethargic, stays in one spot, likes to hide in corners and is quite aggressive to people now when before she was very kind and loving. She is still eating and drinking normally though.

I'm looking for advice on how to treat her foot if possible. I've seen different solutions online however I would like someone to please take a look at the photo attached for a better understanding on how to provide appropriate treatment.

I will mention that we have kept her indoors and away from anything that could cause further infection, we have been treating her wound with epsom salts followed by wound spray. She did start to get better but now the wound is getting worse again.

Thank you for your time.

Attachments

• PXL_20240208_050656651.jpg
    PXL_20240208_050656651.jpg
    364.6 KB · Views: 45
  • PXL_20240208_050721225.jpg
    PXL_20240208_050721225.jpg
    432.7 KB · Views: 10
I wonder if you tried a drawing salve, like PRID, and wrapped it with gauze and vet wrap if for one that would feel better for the poor thing and two if it might pull that infection out. It might be worth a shot to try it for a couple days.

Welcome to BYC btw! I wish it were on better terms!

She needs some kind of padding to protect her skin once you get the bumbe healed. Maybe make a boot out of a pool noodle I believe @CoriM did this maybe she'll see this tag and can explain how to go about it.
You may have to remove that scab to get out the infection. I would continue to soak and use a drawing salve to see if it helps pull the infection to the top but you do not want that infection to move on up her leg and into her joints.

I have not used a pool noodle for padding, so I don't have any experience with that, but I have read of others cutting one up for padding. Looks like you probably need to pull the scab - pack the wound with triple antibiotic ointment (not the pain reliever type) and cover with gauze and wrap with vet wrap. Another option is to pack it with an epsom salt poultice and cover and bandage - this will draw out the infection: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001OE3L8...p=&crid=3D77IYOCLKVM7&amp=&sprefix=epsom+salt. Then just reapply and put on a fresh bandage every day. Poor girl, must be so hard for her to get around.

I have not used a pool noodle for padding, so I don't have any experience with that, but I have read of others cutting one up for padding. Looks like you probably need to pull the scab - pack the wound with triple antibiotic ointment (not the pain reliever type) and cover with gauze and wrap with vet wrap. Another option is to pack it with an epsom salt poultice and cover and bandage - this will draw out the infection: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001OE3L8...p=&crid=3D77IYOCLKVM7&amp=&sprefix=epsom+salt. Then just reapply and put on a fresh bandage every day. Poor girl, must be so hard for her to get around.
I'm sorry @CoriM I thought you had used the pool noodle for a boot. Good advise.

Back
Top Bottom