Is this bumblefoot?

LisaB0922

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2023
Hi all, my poor duck start limping today and I found her foot like this :( is it bumblefoot or did she just cut it on something? If it is bumblefoot, how do I treat it? I feel so bad, but the ducks are on river pea gravel during the day and wood shavings at night, and everything is quite dry so I thought I had my bases covered. Any advice is appreciated, thank you!

Attachments

• 7A5805EA-19AE-4627-92AC-64AB58AD255E.jpeg
    7A5805EA-19AE-4627-92AC-64AB58AD255E.jpeg
    371.7 KB · Views: 55
I would soak in epsom salts for 10 minutes twice a day and put an antibiotic ointment on it (not the pain-free type) and try to keep her as clean and dry as possible for a few days. First use a magnifying glass and make sure there isn't a thorn or sliver in there.

I would soak in epsom salts for 10 minutes twice a day and put an antibiotic ointment on it (not the pain-free type) and try to keep her as clean and dry as possible for a few days. First use a magnifying glass and make sure there isn't a thorn or sliver in there.

I’ll give that a shot, thank you!

Hi all, my poor duck start limping today and I found her foot like this :( is it bumblefoot or did she just cut it on something? If it is bumblefoot, how do I treat it? I feel so bad, but the ducks are on river pea gravel during the day and wood shavings at night, and everything is quite dry so I thought I had my bases covered. Any advice is appreciated, thank you!
Hey, I just this because my duck has a very similar injury on his foot. How is she doing? I’m nearly freaking out because I can’t get him to hold still long enough. I just gave him an Epison salt bath.

Attachments

• BD534C1F-1F37-411E-9CE9-7DE463D5A941.jpeg
    BD534C1F-1F37-411E-9CE9-7DE463D5A941.jpeg
    242.7 KB · Views: 14
Hey, I just this because my duck has a very similar injury on his foot. How is she doing? I’m nearly freaking out because I can’t get him to hold still long enough. I just gave him an Epison salt bath.
She is doing better.. I ended up not doing the epsom salt because she was swimming in the freshly filled pool for 2.5 hours just before I came out to treat. I used iodine to kill off any bacteria and a liquid spray bandage to try and keep the wound clean. The spray bandage is supposedly waterproof, so I held her foot until it was dry and let her go. I’ve been doing this almost every day and her foot is improving and the limp is gone. I’ve checked the other ducks and they have no problems. What I think happened in my case is that she hurt her foot on the cinder blocks surrounding the pool - I’ve noticed she likes to stand on the edge, which probably irritated her foot and broke the skin a little bit. Attached is a picture from today - not yet 100% but we’re getting there.

Regarding the soaking, I’ve seen some folks use a tote with a hole cut at the top so the duck’s head can fit through but can’t move around the tote while the feet are soaking.

I hope this helps! Good luck to you and your duck!

Attachments

• 6FC47200-ECA2-41EA-8FF5-C0C8032F2A86.jpeg
    6FC47200-ECA2-41EA-8FF5-C0C8032F2A86.jpeg
    398.3 KB · Views: 10
She is doing better.. I ended up not doing the epsom salt because she was swimming in the freshly filled pool for 2.5 hours just before I came out to treat. I used iodine to kill off any bacteria and a liquid spray bandage to try and keep the wound clean. The spray bandage is supposedly waterproof, so I held her foot until it was dry and let her go. I’ve been doing this almost every day and her foot is improving and the limp is gone. I’ve checked the other ducks and they have no problems. What I think happened in my case is that she hurt her foot on the cinder blocks surrounding the pool - I’ve noticed she likes to stand on the edge, which probably irritated her foot and broke the skin a little bit. Attached is a picture from today - not yet 100% but we’re getting there.

Regarding the soaking, I’ve seen some folks use a tote with a hole cut at the top so the duck’s head can fit through but can’t move around the tote while the feet are soaking.

I hope this helps! Good luck to you and your duck!
Yeah thank you it does! You can definitely see the improvement in her foot! I ended up taking him to the vet and she gave me steps to treat and we will go back in September for a check up. She basically has me putting cream on him and keeping him in booties which is basically a wrap with a cushion so he’s not stepping on anything hard. He can’t be in water, only once a week for his bandage change, had to put straw in their pen for and condense the pen because it’s to big to contain the straw. She said it’s a 2 month process. But I caught mine early and looks like so did you. Share photos later on so we can see the progress! Thanks for responding! This is my poor guy at the vet with his bootie wrap on.

Attachments

• 8C181026-79CF-4698-85F3-765AB61C16D6.jpeg
    8C181026-79CF-4698-85F3-765AB61C16D6.jpeg
    832.7 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom