Severe bumblefoot in pekin

Lemonade

Chirping
Aug 20, 2022
This isn’t the first time I’ve had to treat bumblefoot, but this time seems far worse than usual. Yesterday one of my pekins started to scrunch up her foot and start walking with the top of it (as seen in the first picture below). She is already overweight and we have just started water therapy with her, so I’m worried that her walking like that will affect the bones in her foot. I also noticed some internal bleeding on the top of her foot (second picture) which is likely due to the way she has been walking. Do I try to make her a splint along with the bumblefoot treatment?
IMG_3909.jpeg
IMG_3906.jpeg

Do you mean like a boot to hold her foot in a normal [position? then yes. You don't want her walking on the top of her foot. Do you know how to make a shoe or boot to hold her foot in the normal position?

Also, show us the bottom of her foot where the bumble is so we can tell you the best way to treat it. You might want to get some plain Epsom salt and some Vetrycin spray for wounds and infections. Also get some Durvet Liquid B Complex for leg support. with her being overweight she is putting a lot of strain on her legs and pekins are the ones that have leg problems anyway like niacin deficiency. Place her in a small area so she can rest her legs while she is healing this way she won't do more damage to her foot and leg.

Do you mean like a boot to hold her foot in a normal [position? then yes. You don't want her walking on the top of her foot. Do you know how to make a shoe or boot to hold her foot in the normal position?

Also, show us the bottom of her foot where the bumble is so we can tell you the best way to treat it. You might want to get some plain Epsom salt and some Vetrycin spray for wounds and infections. Also get some Durvet Liquid B Complex for leg support. with her being overweight she is putting a lot of strain on her legs and pekins are the ones that have leg problems anyway like niacin deficiency. Place her in a small area so she can rest her legs while she is healing this way she won't do more damage to her foot and leg.

To make a shoe take a plastic container like a cool whip cut it to the size of his foot wrap it in vet wrap to cover sharp edges Then place the foot on it take the vet wrap and wrap the entire foot all the way up around the ankle to hold it in place[ they are rel good about getting them off if you don't go up around the ankle. Treat the bumble foot first then use the shoe and wrap that way you can leave it in place for a few days before checking to see how the bumble is healing. and then replace the shoe. You want it snug but be careful not to cut off circulation.

Back
Top Bottom