Hornets nest under deck

At the place we rented before we bought this house there was a small deck at the side door. We almost never used it and I didn't even know about the wasp nest till an A/C repair guy came to work on the unit (beside the deck) and was swarmed. The nest was the size of a soccer ball! There were small gaps between the boards. I found a piece of thin molding leftover from a project which fit between the gaps. When it got dark I would open the door, stab open the nest and quickly slam the door then wait a couple of hours for them to settle down and throw a bucket of very soapy water on the deck. Within 3-4 days the nest was soggy mush and fell to the ground, some of the wasps were drowned/ soaped to death and the survivors moved away
smile.png

I had a hornet nest in my kids playhouse and the pest guy sprayed it with something that had bifen in it during the day.You can buy that online or get the watered down version at local stores that sell Ortho home defense spray. I have the ortho spray and it is a faster knock down than the wasp sprays BUT the wasp/hornet sprays shoot farther. If you spray the nest at night you should make it out without stings. Lol, I found out about the nest by pushing my lawnmower into the playhouse.I was RUNNING and in pain. It was a cool looking nest,but it had to go.

I read to cover your light with red saran wrap.

Quote:
Now that I about spewed... When I was younger, my brother (master of good plans) found a hornet nest up in a tree. So the brilliant plan was that he would tie long sticks onto the pruning shears handles and reach up to cut the nest down... while having little sister stand underneath with a garbage bag, ready to close it as soon as this nest fell in from about 10 feet up. But it was dark out so should have worked, right? So when he grabbed the branch with the pruners, they grabbed on but then the sticks absorbed the pressure and bowed in so the prunners weren't cutting and suddenly there was a hornets nest at eye level and they were starting to come out. We didn't stick around, but had to go back later because the pruning shears were still stuck on the branch. When we went back, we just set the nest on fire...

I saw on a website about nuisance bees to set up a vacuum cleaner where they enter and exit? Or fence the whole area off and put some guineas there...

Back
Top Bottom