Horny Drake!

tamiep

Songster
7 Years
Jun 3, 2016
Oswego, IL 60543, USA
I have a black cayuga duck who lost her mate. I adopted a duck and drake peking pair. The peking duck has a lame wing, something that happened when with the former owner and she kind of walks funny. I think it throws off her balance. I took her to the vet and he said just leave it be.

At first the drake wanted nothing to do with the cayuga and always chased her off. Now he basically uses her as a side chick and jumps her on and off all day long, and he really gets going when I feed them of give treats. His mate is still the one he protects, however. (What a player!)

Now here's the weird part. I keep finding eggs in weird places: in the pool, in the middle of the yard, in the middle of the coop...I know that they are duck eggs because they have the grey film on them (though getting lighter because she's laying like crazy), but they are smaller and have thinner shells. i think the drake is forcing them out of her when he awkwardly does his thing (Poor girl. I think many of us have experienced this...). Anyway. What are your thoughts?

Another question. I am thinking about letting her hatch a few. I did bring them inside because it's still getting to be about 30 degrees or less at night and I was afraid they would freeze. How long will them be viable and would they last outside? (I actually think a chicken will hatch them, not the duck)

I have a black cayuga duck who lost her mate. I adopted a duck and drake peking pair. The peking duck has a lame wing, something that happened when with the former owner and she kind of walks funny. I think it throws off her balance. I took her to the vet and he said just leave it be.

At first the drake wanted nothing to do with the cayuga and always chased her off. Now he basically uses her as a side chick and jumps her on and off all day long, and he really gets going when I feed them of give treats. His mate is still the one he protects, however. (What a player!)

Now here's the weird part. I keep finding eggs in weird places: in the pool, in the middle of the yard, in the middle of the coop...I know that they are duck eggs because they have the grey film on them (though getting lighter because she's laying like crazy), but they are smaller and have thinner shells. i think the drake is forcing them out of her when he awkwardly does his thing (Poor girl. I think many of us have experienced this...). Anyway. What are your thoughts?

Another question. I am thinking about letting her hatch a few. I did bring them inside because it's still getting to be about 30 degrees or less at night and I was afraid they would freeze. How long will them be viable and would they last outside? (I actually think a chicken will hatch them, not the duck)
Only thing I can suggest is maybe getting some more female Cayugas....Thats the only question I can answer,But i hope someone comes along and can help you.:)

Provide Oyster Shell to strengthen the shell..Ducks breed constantly. Normal behaviour. As long as he isn't hurting her they are fine...

Thank you. They all eat the layer feed and get grains. I will put the shells out again now that everyone is starting to lay again.

Do you think he is forcing the eggs out of her when he's standing on her?

Back
Top Bottom