Horrible gapeworm symptoms but she don't have gapeworms UPDATE

I believe cockroaches are the intermediate host for gape worm. Even if the birds are off the ground, they can still catch a roach.

We used to feed them black oil sunflower seeds for gape worm. I think the hulls probably scrape the worms off the throat.

Rufus

Quote:
Thats a misconception about Gapeworms..Gapeworms, other than in the migration stage are only found in the trachea(windpipe) not the throat..Gape and Trachea worms are the same..I think the Vet has Trachea Mites confused with Air Sac Mites..

Thank you all so much for the help, especially dawg53 who has been trying to help me figure this out from the beginning. But I'm afraid the mystery of what's ailing my sweet BR bantam will never be solved. I did give the ivermectin, and I put her back with the others last night and things went fairly smooth when they woke up this morning. But her episodes of gaping, head shaking and scratching have come back full force. I wonder if it has something to do with being outside? When she was in the house, it happened much, much less and I thought it was because of the antibiotics, and maybe it was, but it seems odd that once she went back outside it all came back. Can chickens have allergies? Could that cause these kind of symptoms? I know I'm grasping at straws but this is so frustrating. I've been trying so hard for so long to make her better (I won't even say how much I spent at the vet) and still no answers. I also still wonder how these symptoms relate to the fact that she doesn't lay anymore. She's in her prime (1 year old), but she stopped laying months ago when the gaping started.

The gaping, head shaking, scratching fits seem to come in episodes and make her really uncomfortable for a while, but in between these episodes she's a normal happy girl. So I've decided that as long as she's thriving, I'll just let her be. I'm not sure what else I could do anyway, I've already tried every avenue available. She was so glad to be back with the flock scratching and dust bathing. If she ever acts miserable or sick I'll try the vet again, but I don't think I'll ever figure out what's causing this. So as long as she's happy, she can live her life like a normal chicken. She's a sweet gentle natured girl and she deserves that.

Thanks again for all the help, if anyone has any more ideas please let me know. And I'm very curious about whether chickens can have allergies and what the symptoms might be, if anyone knows.

The vet's office called for an update today and after hearing that the symptoms are back, the vet called back and said he wanted me to go to the feedstore and get some Albon. He said it's labeled for poultry and he wants me to put the hen on a round of it. I'd never heard of Albon so I looked it up and it's a sulfa drug. I'm skeptical that it'll help, and I hate to pull her out of the flock again, but I guess I'll try it (if I can even find Albon around here). Is anyone familiar with this drug? What can it do that Baytril couldn't?

Different drug formulations are more effective against certain types of bacteria than others. Baytril and Albon are two very different classes of antibacterial, antibiotic drugs. Baytril is a fluoroquinolone class of antibiotics, wheras Albon is a sulfonamide class. The sulfonamides (sulfa-based drugs) are effective treatments for many types of bacteria PLUS they are also effective against many types of fungal infections. Perhaps what your Vet is trying is a "double-barrel shotgun" approach sine he/she doesn't know for sure whether you're dealing with a bacteria or fungus? Just a guess.

Last edited:
Thanks for explaining that, MotherJean. I've been searching everywhere locally and Albon cannot be found. I'm gonna ask a local feed store if they can order it for me. If not, I guess I'll have to order it online. My hen wasn't gaping at all yesterday or today, but she started doing it again tonight on the roost. I wonder if she just has a narrow esophagus or something and can't always swallow food well. Seems to me if it was bacterial or fungal, it wouldn't come and go like this for months. But what do I know, I'm obviously still stumped. If the gaping continues, I guess I'll go ahead and try the Albon if I can get my hands on some.

BWchicken. Jeffers livestock has albon for $11.95 soluable powder "Sulfadimethoxine" It's for coccidious,fowl cholera and infectious coryza. Instructions state dissolve 1 packet in 50 gallons for chickens (dont ask me to break that down, requires Georgia math and that's bad news lol.) They also have the 12.5% sulfadimethoxine solution as a drinking water solution for $35.95. Their phone # 1-800-533-3377. I've ordered from them before and they have very fast shipping. They are online as well at 'jeffers livestock.' You could shop around online as well, perhaps First State Vet Supply has it or might be found on ebay.

Maybe a stupid question but "can chickens have allergies?"

I'm asking cuz my super allergic dog does all this stuff when she has an allergic reation to something- especially the head shaking and itching. Could gaping be like a dog panting due to being uncomfortable?

Quote:
Thats what I was thinking. Maybe the chicken has an allergy..

I have heard of a dog being allergic to people. Could the chicken be the same way. Keep an eye on her, and where she is when she does the head shaking. Maybe its a flower or bush. I dont know. Sounded good to be any way..

Back
Top Bottom