Horrible loss yesterday

shellybean40

Songster
13 Years
Apr 15, 2010
Boerne, TX
Well, I lost another hen yesterday, and it was just awful. You see, she had a growth of some kind on her tummy, and it was not an abcess, it seemed more "tumorlike". I watched her as it grew and she continued to thrive and lay, etc. I decided it was some sort of cyst and she would live with it.

Well, yesterday I went to collect eggs and she was in the henhouse and her nose was bleeding! I had company, so I just locked her in the house alone and tried to get my company out the door as fast as possible so I could deal with her. I noticed the other chickens playing with what appeared to be a snake, and I investigated further and it was intestines!
sickbyc.gif

I went to check on her and the other girls had pecked her "lump" and pulled out her insides. I could not believe she was alive! We put her out of her misery quickly.
hit.gif
:hit

I am wondering if that lump could have been a hernia??

Anyway, I am sad, but EW!

Thanks, I knew you all would understand. I have been kind of down all day today. It will not be the same in my flock without her. Her buddy is really down.

th.gif
I'm so sorry about your hen, I know it's tough losing them. I lost one about a month ago and was out with my hens this afternoon and I kept thinking I saw her. I was sad all over again knowing it wasn't her and she was gone. I hope your other hen makes a new friend in the flock.

Poor thing.. She seemed to be happy until the end if she was still laying. Sounds like you did the best thing for her. Most have been awful for you..
hit.gif

Sorry for your loss.
Daisy. xx

Back
Top Bottom