Horrible quail hatch & no idea why

SassShenn

Chirping
Jun 13, 2022
I day 19 of my second time hatching shipped Coturnix quail eggs and it ha seven abysmal. I adjusted minor things I think could have been better from the first incubation, and things have gotten worse somehow.

Using an NR360 & additional Govee monitors. Allowed both sets of shipped eggs to sit for 24 hours, blunt end upright, before putting in incubator. Also using a specific quail egg turner foe the NR360 as well.

First hatch: Set 36 eggs from SW game birds, 31 were possibly fertile at lockdown (I could see clear air sacs in nearly all of the remaining eggs). 9 hatched, 1 w/curled toes died shortly after. 2-3 clearly externally pipped but never progressed. I had not calibrated my extra thermometer/hygrometer for this hatch,
50-55% humidity, then up to around 70% @ lockdown based on the MyShire video recommendations. I had a hard time controlling humidity as it was also unseasonably rainy outside during this hatch and seemed to want to stay high.

Second hatch: Set 30 eggs from MyShire farm removed 6 obviously not developing at lockdown but these eggs were really hard to candle and I did not see many clear air sacs at lockdown, which was very weird, but the eggs were dark. 2 hatched on day 18, 1 w/curled toes that are not correcting themselves (long hatch, zipped but took forever to actually hatch). Literally NOTHING else - not even a Pip. Using same thermometer/hygrometer but calibrated this time & it is accurate).
45% humidity, then up to 60-65% at lockdown (thinking the humidity was maybe too high in the first hatch).
I opened the 6 eggs that clearly didn’t develop and several literally looked scrambled with broken yolks.

I don’t expect shipped eggs to do amazingly given the circumstances, but gosh this has been an awful experience with this latest hatch. I am going to leave the eggs in the incubator for another day or so but let’s be realistic here - what is going wrong?! I’ve read and researched and prepared as much as I could and expected better than 2/24 from this second hatch.

Last edited:
Here are some incubation trouble shooters that might help you. You are looking at them, I'm not. It might help to open the unhatched eggs to try to see when they stopped developing and see what other clues you can find.

Incubation Troubleshooting - Incubation and Embryology - University of Illinois Extension

Trouble Shooting Failures with Egg Incubation | Mississippi State University Extension Service (msstate.edu)

Common Incubation Problems: Causes and Remedies (ucanr.edu)

I've had great hatches and horrible hatches with shipped eggs. The way those looked indicates they were really shaken up during shipping. Even if they started developing that shaking may have been a problem with them being able to hatch. I just don't know.

Here are some incubation trouble shooters that might help you. You are looking at them, I'm not. It might help to open the unhatched eggs to try to see when they stopped developing and see what other clues you can find.

Incubation Troubleshooting - Incubation and Embryology - University of Illinois Extension

Trouble Shooting Failures with Egg Incubation | Mississippi State University Extension Service (msstate.edu)

I've had great hatches and horrible hatches with shipped eggs. The way those looked indicates they were really shaken up during shipping. Even if they started developing that shaking may have been a problem with them being able to hatch. I just don't know.
Thank you for the links and input. It’s hard to know what you don’t know, but I will definitely be doing an eggtopsy to see if the other were as scrambled as the ones I pulled at lockdown. To have 2 of 24 eggs hatch after stable temps and humidity, with calibrated monitors, just seems crazy to me.

I cannot that m you enough. I reviews the links, did an eggtopsy on the 22 remaining I hatched eggs and they ALL were like fresh eggs as far as the yolk appearance. A few were scrambled like the prior ones I’d cracked, but definitely no development beyond a day or 2, if that in any of them.

It still sucks hatching 2/24 eggs overall, but at least I know it was more than likely a shipping issue and not an incubation issue (I have the full history of temp & humidity from my calibrated monitors thankfully!) and can relax a little during our next incubation.

Back
Top Bottom