Horrible Question- our turkey needs to be put down

Here chicky chicky

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 7, 2008
We have a year old pet big white turkey who has grown so big he can no longer carry himself around. He can take two steps and then flops down to pant and puff and he shivers and I think he's at the end of his life. He seems to be in pain and no longer enjoying life. I cant pay the vet $125 to put him down. Any suggestions? Is there some kind of med I can give him to make him go to sleep and never wake up? I know this is terrible, but when the vet is that much what the heck do people do? I'm afraid he's suffering and he's been a pet. I dont ant to give him to someone who will eat him.

It's Hard to put down a pet. The fastest, most humane way I know of is to chop off their head. Death is instantanious, no suffering. Unfortunetly it is the hardest on those of use that have to do it. I place a bag over their head and a towel around their body, and just do it.

A friend of mine has put a pet rat down by using carbon dioxide. He said the pet rat just went to sleep. You have to be really careful how you approach this method though, as carbon dioxide is dangerous. He is a firefighter and that was his though.
The way we put animals down is to either chop the head off or shoot them directly in the head. Messy and sad, but if it is to put an animal out of its misery then what must be done must be done.

Back
Top Bottom