Horrible scare with our dogs and Aggie today

GallusGal

Songster
11 Years
Jul 20, 2008
Alabama
Well, it's official: I really need to set up a different coop elsewhere on the property.

We figured what we had set up was perfect: it was well fortified against the dogs attacking, but the presence of the dogs nearby deterred other pests from entering the coop. That all works well in theory, except that today while I was getting eggs, the hinge on the coop door broke. I didn't notice it, went on my merry way picking up eggs... and as I prepared to leave found Aggie on top of the door to the fence surrounding the coop. She had slipped out of a little gap where the hinges were broken, and of course the second she saw me flew right into the back yard... where our terrier and hound were waiting.
hmm.png

The fence door was locked from the outside, and in my panic to get her as I watched the dogs cornering her, I ripped it straight off its hinges then ran them down. They trapped her on the other side of the fence as she tried to get back into the coop, but thankfully all they got was feathers (she lost a lot of her tail) due to her amazing speed and my reaction time. She's very stressed but I can't find any punctures or actual bite injuries/blood. However, I have her downstairs in a crate for observation as I know breaks and serious brusing can present after the animal's adrenaline drops.

I'm so shaken by this, and can't abide by the possibility of it happening again. Looks like I need to figure out another place on the property to build a new coop so my poor little chooks are safe and sound from predators of the wild AND domesticated variety.

Phew. Got home after a few hours out and Aggie seems just fine - loud, cranky, and still no signs of bleeding or bruising. She bit the heck out of my arms when I moved her into a bigger pen for R & R, then flapped up to sit on the perch. Her tail looks ratty but that aside I think she is going to be just fine.

Thanks. It was horrible. It's the worst feeling in the world to see one of your pets about to plunge into danger... and being totally unable to stop it. I really am shocked I made it in time to save her; thank goodness she's FAST. Though I'm feeling the after-effects of the effort now; I have a bad back and knees, and both tearing the hinge out and clambering quickly out of the coop (which caused the large, heavy, metal door to fall back and crush my knee against the wall) has left me feeling very sore. Worth it to know she's safe.

And, my husband said I could convert a different enclosure on the property PLUS an old shed into a BIGGER, BETTER chicken home. Woohoo! This one is better located to avoid the flooding issue we've been having, has the same high (and below ground) metal walls, and has a much more secure style of door.

Last edited:
I keep reading about dogs killing chickens. People give the dogs away or are terrified about their chickens getting out. I have a technique that has always worked. My grandfather used this technique along with my father and me. Since my dogs have always been indoor dogs I don't go to the extremes that my father and grandfather did, but the technique works.
I currently have three dogs that free range with my flock of 50 chickens. A Rotty mix, miniature schnauzer and Kira who is an Airedale-Standard Poodle mix. The first two have never shown any any interest in chickens. Kira killed a group of 3 week old chicks who escaped their pen during a freak wind storm that toppled their brooder. I didn't do anything at that time. Six months later a hen hopped the fence into the backyard and was killed. Kira had the hen in her mouth when I went outside.
At this point I began the process of training Kira to avoid chickens. I tied the hen by her legs around Kira's neck. Then we go into the chicken yard. Every time Kira looked in the direction of a chicken, I hit her with the bristles of a broom. I would chase her around the yard (40x40). I did this for about a half hour. Then I tied her to the fence and left the yard. I came back in half an hour and went through the process again. This process continued for about four hours. Kira was not harmed, no hits except with the brooms bristles. She was given water when she was tied. When this was done I removed the dead chicken from Kira. (My father would leave the chicken tied for 2-3 days) By the time it was finished Kira would not look at a chicken.
I have used this technique on 3 dogs in the last 25 years. I have not lost a chicken to my own dogs after doing this. Some may feel this is cruel and abusive. I love my chickens and I love my dogs. Kira was 6 years old when this happened. She is now 11 years old. I did not want to give up a favored pet nor did I want to worry about losing my girls. Kira does not appear to be traumatized and she runs the property with the chickens. She is not a guard dog and wouldn't protect the chickens but she won't bother them either.

When I got my ducklings my mom brought my 9 year old Lab into the bathroom and cup one of my ducklings in her hand and showed it to the Lab she smelled it and then she licked her mouth and my mom flicked her in the snount gently and said in a firm voice NO!! and then we let the ducklings out of the brooder and let them walk around her as we held her she was excited at first but then calm down when my mom flicked her again and said NO!! we also did the same to our 1 year old Beagle. The 3 ducks are now 11 weeks and when I let the 2 dogs outside they come running up to them. The dogs just stand there and try to smell there behind
idunno.gif
and they never bothered the ducks that was my Grandpas why of doing it.

Back
Top Bottom