horrible tragedy

farmergal

Songster
11 Years
Jul 21, 2008
Nor Cal
This morning, all of my babies -- except one, who's in pretty bad shape -- were dead or missing. Twenty-four little darlings, many of them with names, all of them loved.
One month of tending for them, worrying over them, losing sleep over them... and a fox dug underneath the coop (despite a wire mesh skirt) and killed them, took them, or scattered them. He didn't even take everything that he killed. I can't quite express the horror of finding one little Leghorn partway buried in the coop's dirt floor. Her little body was so cold and so stiff.

Two others were in the salad bed.

I've spent the last two hours reliving their painful last moments. I don't know what to do. Start over? Can a new flock really take the place of the wonderful amazing one that I just lost? Should I pick up the phone now and place an order, or give it some time? Can any Buff Orp ever be as sweet as Buffy, the loving little girl I just lost?
With many tears,
Lynda

aaaawwwww I am so sorry to hear that. I know I would be so hurt if something happened to just one of my girls.
hugs.gif
Order new babies and know you loved and gave good care to your first flock.

If the fox dug in, examine why and how. If the skirting was not long enough? Was it staked down? Can you run hotwire around the perimeter? etc etc and do what you can to stop him from getting inside again. Learn from it, correct it as best you can and raise a new flock. *hugs*

I'm so sorry sweetheart. I don't think you'll ever replace them, but that doesn't mean you can't create a new flock with new feathered friends and lots of love.
hugs.gif

thanks for the words of encouragement. I will definitely look in to hot wire... hate does not begin to express how I feel against this fox right now! I know he was only doing what came naturally... but why kill and not even eat them? it seems so senseless.

maybe I should just make a floor and abandon my idea of moving the coop around...

Awe, I'm so sorry to hear your story! That's just awful! Please do spend some time to reinforce the coop/run BEFORE ordering more little ones. If it happens again, you'll be done for, emotionally.
hugs.gif

I'm terribly sorry--it's so hard for us thinking about them losing their lives when we know how defenseless they are. It is awful, too, when the predator kills but doesn't even bother to eat them. What a terrible waste. I'm so sorry for you and your girls.

Any advice on how to care for the survivor? Right now she's in with a few slow-growing chicks that I'd kept back in the garage -- at least I still have a few to comfort me -- and I swabbed some Neosporin on her bite marks. She's eating and drinking, but she's a little wobbly and lethargic. Should I call the vet (maybe get some antibiotics or something), or just wait to see how she does?

You'll likely know for sure tomorrow or tonight. An infected wound has some definite characteristics-- redness, heat, drainage. Keep the wounds and her environment clean. Flushing the bites out with saline or betadine could help. Make sure the others aren't picking on her. If the bites look worse tomorrow, call the vet. She's been through a lot and the symptoms could just be a reaction to the stress. A little yogurt might help boost her system.

Back
Top Bottom