Horrific fly strike

whitkit

Chirping
Jul 20, 2019
Hello all,
I recently got back from vacation and i noticed one of my hens was picking at her butt and laying down more often than usual. Upon examination, I saw the most horrific thing I think i’ve ever seen. Yesterday I found her vent and underneath covered in maggots. I immediately researched on how to help her, and began soaking her behind in warm saline water. To my relief, the maggots came off; but I soon noticed that they were underneath her skin as well. I flushed them out with hydrogen peroxide as best I could and have been picking maggots as they come. I have absolutely no idea what caused the maggots, whether it was an injury or poopy butt, the result is really horrific. She is completely acting fine, she eats and drinks and even tries to run to her flock when I let her out. She even laid an egg. I have soaked her 4 times since yesterday morning and each time maggots come out, not as many as the first soak though. Her poop has been very liquidy but it almost seems normal now. Her wound looks pretty bad, it looks like maggots have dug around this large lump of something. It is big enough that it gets in the way of her poop. I just really want to know what exactly is going on and any more advice to help my poor girl. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• 7DD80DD5-244F-4FD1-86CF-E09381A6EEFE.jpeg
    7DD80DD5-244F-4FD1-86CF-E09381A6EEFE.jpeg
    728 KB · Views: 159
  • 2DA68F08-CE5E-403B-8B79-E57AF98EC3A8.jpeg
    2DA68F08-CE5E-403B-8B79-E57AF98EC3A8.jpeg
    617.7 KB · Views: 101
  • C32B1F3B-43CE-4967-8592-F4E63E19366A.jpeg
    C32B1F3B-43CE-4967-8592-F4E63E19366A.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 99
  • 6E2A72BF-B3D8-471F-94AA-06103CE83334.jpeg
    6E2A72BF-B3D8-471F-94AA-06103CE83334.jpeg
    548.9 KB · Views: 101
Likely the maggots have breached the abdominal cavity.
You can continue to try flushing that out and apply some swat gel to see if you can eliminate the maggots.

Not sure if the wound will heal well or if that will even go back to normal shape.
Likely the hen has some type of reproductive problem(?), extra fat or similar....only way to find out what the bulge really is, is to perform a necropsy or send the body for investigation.

Personally, I would put the hen down. I do understand it's a difficulty decision and it's ultimately up to you. Sometimes chickens heal just fine and they surprise you.

Likely the maggots have breached the abdominal cavity.
You can continue to try flushing that out and apply some swat gel to see if you can eliminate the maggots.

Not sure if the wound will heal well or if that will even go back to normal shape.
Likely the hen has some type of reproductive problem(?), extra fat or similar....only way to find out what the bulge really is, is to perform a necropsy or send the body for investigation.

Personally, I would put the hen down. I do understand it's a difficulty decision and it's ultimately up to you. Sometimes chickens heal just fine and they surprise you.
Thank you for the information, I will continue to do what I have been doing. Luckily I have swat gel, so after her next bath I will use it.

Speaking of which, worked well for me. The strangest thing happened, her wound hardened up and the other day I noticed it was barely hanging onto her. I gently tugged it and it came right off!? Underneath was a wayy smaller lump of normal looking raw flesh. Havent seen maggots since a few days after I said I used the swat. She is still acting normal and eager to get back to her flock. I guess the hardened thing was the rotten flesh? No idea but it seems like her outcome is much brighter now.

Back
Top Bottom