Horrific fly strike

Speaking of which, worked well for me. The strangest thing happened, her wound hardened up and the other day I noticed it was barely hanging onto her. I gently tugged it and it came right off!? Underneath was a wayy smaller lump of normal looking raw flesh. Havent seen maggots since a few days after I said I used the swat. She is still acting normal and eager to get back to her flock. I guess the hardened thing was the rotten flesh? No idea but it seems like her outcome is much brighter now.
That's great that she's doing better! Kind of a weird thought, but, I wonder if it was actually cancerous/some kind of tumor and the Flystrike somewhat...helped? It's possible the maggots ate through it enough to make it fall off and the repeated cleanings kept it from getting infected.

Either way I'm glad she's better! ❤️

That's great that she's doing better! Kind of a weird thought, but, I wonder if it was actually cancerous/some kind of tumor and the Flystrike somewhat...helped? It's possible the maggots ate through it enough to make it fall off and the repeated cleanings kept it from getting infected.

Either way I'm glad she's better! ❤️
Thats an interesting thought! I have no idea really, I never noticed any lumps before. Chickens… they are something else

You can find it at TSC.
I see Kim is helping you on your thread. I hope your hen recovers quickly.

View attachment 2790974
Thanks very much for the pic!

I have 15 hens, a new puppy and I'm trying to find work. Hope my husband doesn't come home and say he's leaving me for a man...the stress might be more than I can handle without chocolates.

Speaking of which, worked well for me. The strangest thing happened, her wound hardened up and the other day I noticed it was barely hanging onto her. I gently tugged it and it came right off!? Underneath was a wayy smaller lump of normal looking raw flesh. Havent seen maggots since a few days after I said I used the swat. She is still acting normal and eager to get back to her flock. I guess the hardened thing was the rotten flesh? No idea but it seems like her outcome is much brighter now.
Wow, just.... Wooowww. Thank you for this post. Glad she is better. Thanks for giving her a chance. I would've put her down, too! This is amazing.

very very good news. Similar deal with my hen. Will wait and see how she does. Hopefully her tumor will harden and fall off, too!

very very good news. Similar deal with my hen. Will wait and see how she does. Hopefully her tumor will harden and fall off, too!
I just looked at your thread and sure enough, it looks very similar. I hope the best for your hen, it took about two weeks for it to harden and fall off.

That's a relief! Was it a growth on the skin or from inside? The weirdest things happen! Thanks to your persistence, you helped her heal..... I know the maggots are gross, but at least they were eating the bacteria and prevented the infections from spreading!!!! YUK anyway? By the way, did you save the maggots and let the other girls eat them? Since were on a YUK level, thought I'd ask! When I find them on my garbage can, I call the flock over and they come a runnin' !!! LOL

Speaking of which, worked well for me. The strangest thing happened, her wound hardened up and the other day I noticed it was barely hanging onto her. I gently tugged it and it came right off!?
Do you have any updated photos of what it looks like now?

I know the maggots are gross, but at least they were eating the bacteria and prevented the infections from spreading!!!!
Sorry, it would be nice if this was the way it worked....Maggots on livestock are not eating the bacteria and preventing infection - they are eating flesh and causing infection.
IF they were preventing infection, then there would be no need to treat right?

Back
Top Bottom