Horrifying-Chicken in Engine

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by TheNat, Jul 11, 2010.

1. TheNat

TheNat Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2010
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    I posted earlier that my dogs killed 2 of my chickens this week. A third was missing and I was hoping that she was hiding somewhere scared and would come home. Well, we found her this afternoon. It looks like she tried to hide by crawling up into the engine of my car. I've been driving around with a dead chicken in my engine for 3 days and yesterday started noticing a bad smell, which I figured was probably mice trying to nest under the hood. I am absolutely sick about this. I have no idea how the chicken managed to crawl up there and I feel horrible about this. I cried a little this afternoon and just wanted to vent to people who would understand. [​IMG]

2. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    [​IMG] [​IMG] There is no way you could have known!! I'm so sorry! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    [​IMG] I have had that happen with cats in the winter....it always makes you feel absolutely sick. I am so so sorry.

4. ChOOkens

ChOOkens ►ChOOken In A Box◄

Jun 1, 2009
    Australia
    So sorry to hear. It's not your fault. [​IMG]

5. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Oh honey I have done this with a cat as well and there is no way you could have known... Hugs

6. Jody

Jody Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Epping, NH
    Oh man.. that's terrible. Sorry to hear of your loss and then having to see it.

Now I'm gonna have to always check under the hood before leaving home.

7. MaureenL128

MaureenL128 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    i'm so sorry...you would have never known...hope you are feeling better

8. FourPawz

FourPawz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Virginia
    You poor thing! One thing - the chicken probably never realized what hit her and most likely didn't suffer. I know that isn't much consolation.

9. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG] Happened to me while visiting my mother years ago; I was lucky (and so was the cat) in that he survived, but lost his tail and a bit of hide. But NOBODY would have ever thought of a chicken climbing up under there. Put it out of your head...

10. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    i'm really sorry [​IMG] that's worse than finding them dead in the coop. don't feel too bad-you didn't know! at least she will have died peacefully.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by