Horse club

Pics
Going over low poles are an aspect of trail, I've done it before and it's fun. Usually it's just trotting over a raised pole, although a few times I've gone over a slightly higher pole at an actual jump. It's kind of like if you were out trail riding, and your horse needs to know how to jump over a log, as my trainer has put it.
I just don't think you should do it really frequently since western saddles aren't designed for constant jumping and the heavier weight can be bad for the horse's back, or so I've heard. It's fine to pop over a few though.

It'd be fine just to do raised trotting poles/mini jumps like that a few times to get you and your horse used to the concept, but I agree that you should probably wait for lessons to really ride english. I'm sure you could get it before and ride around in it a bit, but if you are able to get lessons from someone who teaches english, it might benefit both you and your horse to be introduced to english riding professionally. :)
That is helpful thanks!

I have a new 30 year old bay gelding named Buck! He's the sweetest soul, and he thinks he's a young horse. He's a bit scruffy and fat and lazy, but I'm teaching him to jog with me and we both get exercise that way! He makes the cutest rusty old neigh that sounds in between a neigh and a nicker. He's got some BAD dandruff though, so he's getting weekly baths for it.

Hello I have a training question about my 14 year old mini gelding named chocolate. Today I was giving him a bath and when I got to his mane he reared up and almost hit my sister in the face so not knowing what else to do I tied him up up to a post and let him rest but that only made it worse and he reared up twice so then I turned him out into a paddock and let him roll and run around when he was done rolling I walked into the paddock and tried to put a lead rope on but he ran away normally he has great ground manners and always meets me at the gate so when I walked up to him again I held my arms up and asked him to back out of my space and then he turned his butt towards me and ran away again instead of backing up when he had stopped running I tried asking again for him to step out of my space and he challenged me put his head up and took 2 steps toward me!! I don't know what to do I have had him for 11 years and he has never done anything like this I am afraid I overcorrected and just made thing worse:(

Hello I have a training question about my 14 year old mini gelding named chocolate. Today I was giving him a bath and when I got to his mane he reared up and almost hit my sister in the face so not knowing what else to do I tied him up up to a post and let him rest but that only made it worse and he reared up twice so then I turned him out into a paddock and let him roll and run around when he was done rolling I walked into the paddock and tried to put a lead rope on but he ran away normally he has great ground manners and always meets me at the gate so when I walked up to him again I held my arms up and asked him to back out of my space and then he turned his butt towards me and ran away again instead of backing up when he had stopped running I tried asking again for him to step out of my space and he challenged me put his head up and took 2 steps toward me!! I don't know what to do I have had him for 11 years and he has never done anything like this I am afraid I overcorrected and just made thing worse:(
I’m sorry I have absolutely no clue what to do! I have never had a horse do that before but perhaps if you try doing a method known as join up. There are videos on YouTube. It’s kind of a liberty way to connect with your horse and gain their respect without force.

Back
Top Bottom