Horse color - help

Cremello counts as an unusual color?

And hmm. Guess I'm confused about this gene stuff. She said if she bred her stud to my mare the foal would most likely be palomino becuase of a certain gene he has. I'll have to ask her again what she told me.
It would not bother me in the slightest if they said they thought she might be grullo, but they were SURE of it, had all these reasons why the "knew" she was, and called it a rare color. I don't know if they just didn't realize or if they were tryna play her up, or both.
And something I discovered today, when I rode her at their house he told me whenever she doesn't pay attention to him he'll stop her, and flex her to get her attention back on him, and today I rode her, and whenever I stopped she automatically started flexing
1f602.png
I stopped several times after that to show her I didn't want her to flex and then she realized she didn't have to

Oh and my cousins stud has.. Bird catcher spots? I think they're called. If that makes any difference.

Dontcha just love how anybody with a stallion is more than willing to help you use your mare as a walking uterus?
th.gif

Horses have the potential to produce two pigments, black and red. At the most basic, all horse colors come down to being either black-based or red-based. A midnight black horse also has red pigment in his hair, you just can't see it because the black is covering it up. All of the color genes act by either restricting the pigment to hairs in certain parts of the coat, or restricting the amount of pigment in the hairs. Agouti, for example, pushes the black pigment off of the body hairs, revealing the red pigment underneath - so a black horse becomes a bay. The gene for red pretty much pushes black off of the whole horse. Red is recessive (meaning that a horse must have two copies of the gene for red for it to be a red-based color), so if you have a horse that is a red-based color, you know that it will give the gene for red to any offspring that it has. Some genes, like agouti and silver, pretty much only affect black pigment, so if you have a horse that is a red-based color, you won't be able to see if these genes are present. Some genes have a cumulative effect - one copy causes a certain thing to happen, two copies cause even more of it (some of the Pinto genes work like this, Lethal White Overo/Frame, for example).

A palomino is a red-based horse with one copy of the cream gene, and one of non-cream. Since palomino is a red-based color, you can be sure a pali gives a gene for red to all of its offspring, but the odds of any particular foal getting the cream gene are 50/50. When you breed two pali's together, all of the offspring will be red-based, but you have a 1 in 4 chance of a foal without cream - in other words, a sorrel.

Ah. Thanks for that! And now I finally understand agouti.
I do actually like her stallion, which is a miracle considering how picky I am about studs AND the fact that I don't generally like sorrels

Cremello counts as an unusual color?

Yes, I consider Cremello and Perlino to be an unusual or uncommon horse coat color. It wasn't that long ago that, even though some of these horses were PB Quarter Horses, the AQHA disallowed double-dilute horses into their registry, deeming them to be albinos. It was only thru the persistence of groups like the CPEA that the AQHA reversed their decision.

Back
Top Bottom