B569716C-FA84-4972-BC16-04914C0AC70F.jpeg
0899CBA9-65B6-42F2-A8DD-685140E115B5.jpeg
0329220F-D2C0-4D7E-9EFA-9FD30275E83B.jpeg
937D2EA5-E355-4077-8D7E-5008BFBBA486.jpeg
A888D42A-468C-4F02-AAC2-A5B9F75EBB9E.jpeg
EC5703EF-53D4-4A92-A9F8-451FF950D25E.jpeg
6CC1458F-00F1-4238-BF38-755206094EDD.jpeg
43C2BAA7-DB9A-45AB-BF85-C9367C6E7DED.jpeg

Yaaaaaaayyyyy horses!!! @ButtonHoarder I know we have our differences but if you have a horse I can't possibly hate you.
I started taking riding lessons in April. I love it. I hope to own a horse(or five) in several years.
*sigh* we must push all the orp/Cochin business to the side to make way for the fabulousity of horses.

That's cool. English or Western?

For a minute I thought this was the horse club thread :lol: But I haven't seen practically any posts on any horse threads lately, so I was excited to see a notification.

To whoever else is on this thread, how are you and your horses? (or horses you ride? :) )

@CuriousBeaks How cool! I've been taking riding lessons for a while myself...Can't afford my own horse but I sure hope you can achieve your dream one day!! I think all of us horse lovers who don't own one want a horse lol!

At the farm where I take lessons, almost everyone rides in a western saddle, but we hold the reins like English riders do, so... I'm not really sure.
Western riders ride two handed a lot as well! It really depends on the horse and what type of riding you are doing (within western). One handed traditionally comes from 1) primarily using neck reining instead of direct rein (pulling them in the direction you would go), and 2) from cowboys who needed a free hand to be able to do things like rope cattle, open and shut gates, etc. That's why (I don't know if other barns do this too, I presume so) when you do one handed you are taught to hold the reins in your non-dominant hand, since if you were to use your free hand for stuff, you'd want it to be your dominate one.

I mainly ride around for fun/pleasure and not all horses I ride know neck reining so even though I ride western like you I actually ride two-handed most of the time! One handed really isn't necessary unless you wanna do it and the horse can neck rein. (putting the rein on their neck to make them turn from that pressure as opposed to the bit)

Hope I didn't info dump, lol! :) I'm actually teaching our most recent lesson horse to neck rein so I'm all fired up on the topic 😅

Do you have any kind of 'sport' or I guess 'event' that you wanna do at all, or do you just ride for pleasure?

For a minute I thought this was the horse club thread :lol: But I haven't seen practically any posts on any horse threads lately, so I was excited to see a notification.

To whoever else is on this thread, how are you and your horses? (or horses you ride? :) )

@CuriousBeaks How cool! I've been taking riding lessons for a while myself...Can't afford my own horse but I sure hope you can achieve your dream one day!! I think all of us horse lovers who don't own one want a horse lol!

Western riders ride two handed a lot as well! It really depends on the horse and what type of riding you are doing (within western). One handed traditionally comes from 1) primarily using neck reining instead of direct rein (pulling them in the direction you would go), and 2) from cowboys who needed a free hand to be able to do things like rope cattle, open and shut gates, etc. That's why (I don't know if other barns do this too, I presume so) when you do one handed you are taught to hold the reins in your non-dominant hand, since if you were to use your free hand for stuff, you'd want it to be your dominate one.

I mainly ride around for fun/pleasure and not all horses I ride know neck reining so even though I ride western like you I actually ride two-handed most of the time! One handed really isn't necessary unless you wanna do it and the horse can neck rein. (putting the rein on their neck to make them turn from that pressure as opposed to the bit)

Hope I didn't info dump, lol! :) I'm actually teaching our most recent lesson horse to neck rein so I'm all fired up on the topic 😅

Do you have any kind of 'sport' or I guess 'event' that you wanna do at all, or do you just ride for pleasure?
Oh, that makes sense, thank you! Right now I just ride for pleasure, but it would be cool to do something else a bit down the road. Barrel racing maybe? If I ever learn English riding than jumping seems fun.

Back
Top Bottom