Horse Talk

Pics
That's a good point. Although there are trainers who don't critize anyone when they're teaching haha but he does have some good advice underneath all the rambling. When I do force myself to watch some of his videos even though I might get annoyed, I usually learn something. Agreed about the spurs. I personally don't even own a pair, but if someone wants to use them and they use them correctly, well that's fine. Also agreed about the size of the horse. I personally like smaller horses, and June should mature to 14.2 but I think it's fine for me since I'm only 5'4 and don't weigh too much (and I'm even on a diet, so less weight for her to carry! Lol) and when I'm on a big horse I feel like I'm trying to ride an elephant. I believe Phoenix is 14.2 hands and he feels perfect, and I can even get on him bareback without struggling. So.. 14.2 is my favorite size. Now my sister, she's skinnier than me, but she's only 13 and already a hair over 5'6 and she's starting to get interested in horses so if she gets one I'll probably find a taller one for her so her legs aren't dangling all over.
I worked with June tonight, some ground work (progress on lunging, yay!) and then I got on her bareback, flexed her, backed her up, and starting turning her for the first time, using the reigns and leg pressure, turning to left was easy, we did it several times, turning right... Very hard, and we only succeeded once, but that's okay, I'm still proud of her. And everything is more difficult on her right side. Towards the end she started acting up, which is out of her character, but I'm blaming the heat cycle, and I was asking her to do stuff (I always ask first, becuase like you said working with a horse is stress) but she wasn't doing what I asked (which was to stand still) so since she kept backing up, I "made the right thing easy and the wrong thing hard" and backed her up until she wanted to stand still.

So what you are left with is basic black, and black + creme, which is a color sometimes called smoky black
Smoky blacks can vary from not-quite-black to a sort of chocolate color.

My brown gelding is technically speaking a "smokey black." He is the product of a black mare and a palomino stallion, but AQHA recognizes his particular color as "brown."
Here's my guy.

Hmm so I had an idea. You know how I said my sister is starting to get interested in horses? Well she really likes June. And I showed her some different horses tonight trying to get an idea of what she likes and she loves blue roans. Well I was thinking, since I'm considering breeding June, I could see if there's any homozygous black, homozygous roan, blue roan studs out there that meet my bloodline/conformation/temperament standards, and then she would have a foal to grow up with. This may not be a good idea, or even a possible idea. But it's an idea I had, and might take into consideration for a while. In the meantime (well once her school lets out) I'll try to start taking her to riding lessons with me so she can learn. And if that doesn't work I could always adopt a blue roan BLM mustang (since you pretty much only have color to go off of on Internet adoptions). Although that doesn't seem like as good as an option, unless I got a yearling so she could get a couple years of riding lessons in and be at an intermediate or better level by the time it was broke. If I let her have June's baby she'd have at least 5 years to take lessons lol, she'd probably be a better rider than me! I suppose it would be ideal to find a good kid broke horse with blue roan as an added bonus. I know you can't ride color, I just want her first horse to be perfect if she gets one, becuase I want her to have it for a life time.
Btw... Can someone post a picture of the difference between a blue roan and smoky blue roan?

Hmm so I had an idea. You know how I said my sister is starting to get interested in horses? Well she really likes June. And I showed her some different horses tonight trying to get an idea of what she likes and she loves blue roans. Well I was thinking, since I'm considering breeding June, I could see if there's any homozygous black, homozygous roan, blue roan studs out there that meet my bloodline/conformation/temperament standards, and then she would have a foal to grow up with. This may not be a good idea, or even a possible idea. But it's an idea I had, and might take into consideration for a while. In the meantime (well once her school lets out) I'll try to start taking her to riding lessons with me so she can learn. And if that doesn't work I could always adopt a blue roan BLM mustang (since you pretty much only have color to go off of on Internet adoptions). Although that doesn't seem like as good as an option, unless I got a yearling so she could get a couple years of riding lessons in and be at an intermediate or better level by the time it was broke. If I let her have June's baby she'd have at least 5 years to take lessons lol, she'd probably be a better rider than me! I suppose it would be ideal to find a good kid broke horse with blue roan as an added bonus. I know you can't ride color, I just want her first horse to be perfect if she gets one, becuase I want her to have it for a life time.
Btw... Can someone post a picture of the difference between a blue roan and smoky blue roan?
I think that the best idea would be to get her a well-broke kids horse.
Perfection is performance and temperament, not colour!
Most any girl would be absolutely thrilled to even get a horse
big_smile.png

Maybe this can help? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roan_(horse)

I love strawberry roans and bay overo's but I don't think about that when I'm looking for a horse.

I know I know! She's such a.. High maintence girl though lol. VERY picky, about everything. She spends an hour picking out her outfit for school every night
1f602.png
actually make that two outfits, she has to have the perfect gym outfit too. And she's a perfectionist about everything. I imagine she won't accept any ole horse. She did say she likes buckskins and greys too. So maybe I can find a kid broke horse and narrow it to three colors and hope I get really lucky. She already informed me she won't accept a palomino or liver chestnut, because she's doesn't want the same color horse as me
1f605.png

But she still hasn't learned the "you can't ride color" rule yet. Maybe once I get her some lessons and she starts to bond with a horse that's maybe not so cute, she'll start to understand.

Update: she likes black horses, and white horses too. So surely out of those 5 colors I could find something that suits her needs, if she decides after some lessons she really wants one

Update: she likes black horses, and white horses too. So surely out of those 5 colors I could find something that suits her needs, if she decides after some lessons she really wants one
It's a big decision. You have to know that she will take care of the horse and pay attention to it.
A horse as your probably know, is not like a machine. You can't not remember to feed it or water it and you need to exersize it and monitor it and follow training programs etc, etc, etc.
You have got to be sure she could handle this responsiblity.
A horse is not a pet, or is horseback riding a sport, it's a lifestyle.

Yeah, I'm going to have her take lessons and help me with June and Phoenix before we do anything, and then it she got on and changed her mind down the road for some reason, I'd keep it for myself. So I'll make sure we're prepared for anything before we actually do something big

Back
Top Bottom