Horse Talk

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by abigalerose, Feb 22, 2016.

1. abigalerose

abigalerose Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2016
    animalgenetics.us and then click "equine testing" and then "coat color calculater"

2. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    Found it... I wanted to experiment with coats to see which color mare I should breed to my stallion

3. chicken19

chicken19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2015
    Riding my horse
    My Coop
    Cool!

4. abigalerose

Feb 22, 2016
    It's pretty helpful! I found several colors that would work good for breeding June too. I was trying to weed out all the colors that produce sorrel becuase I would not want sorrel!

5. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    [​IMG]

"There's something wrong with sorrel?"

6. abigalerose

Feb 22, 2016
    I'll find a sorrel I like every so often! It's just pretty rare lol. It's my least favorite color. Not sure if I just don't like the color or if it's becuase my first horse (also my arch nemesis) was a sorrel. Here are a few I happen to think are pretty. I know some of these have white on them, but imo the less white on a sorrel, the better
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. abigalerose

Feb 22, 2016
    This is my first horse, I got him when I was 5 and his name was Thunder, he was stubborn, and the most buddy sour horse I've ever seen in my life, I couldn't work with my other horses becuase he freaked out, it was ridiculous. When I was really young me and my cousin rode him out in the field once and he threw us off (don't remember why now but he was a BIG horse and it was scary) so I stopped riding for a very, very long time. And then another time I went down to the pond with my grandpa to feed the fish and he want the fish food, so my grandpa held it in between us and he decided the best way to get it was to kick me. He bucked my grandpa off more than once. I finally traded him (for a sweet little mare) to a girl who thought she could handle tuning him up. She was wrong. She sold him to another lady with more training experience who thought she could get him back in shape. Wrong again. So she sold him to a man with even more experience, and I never found out if he finally got through to him or not. But boy he sure was a pain, he was so pushy. I really think he just needed a job. When I first got him my grandpa rode him all over and checked cows on him, and supposedly he was awesomene, but I don't remember such a time.
    The other two horses in this picture are my first mustang (on the left) when he was about two and a half and still kinda ugly, and on the right a sweet little (big) red roan gelding who just needed some more miles on him, who unfortunately passed away for unknown reasons. Poor guy, he was real skinny and small when we bought him too, but I think he lived a pretty happy life with us for a while, he just got to be a horse. He was best buddies with thunder, they loved picking on my mustang together and eating his mane off.
    [​IMG]

8. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Lol, Do you recognize the horse in this post? Here's another picture of him:
    [​IMG]

This one may be more familiar, though:
    [​IMG]
    Recognize him now?[​IMG]

I understand having a favorite or least favorite color - I don't much care for Appaloosas, myself. "A good horse is never a bad color," though; some of the horses I'd have taken in a heartbeat were Appy's. So many people focus on color or pattern; IMO, those things really need to be way, way down the list. I mean, if you just can't stand to look at it, it may affect your attitude toward the horse, and in that case I guess you need to overlook that animal, but a flashy paint job doesn't get the work done (unless all you want is a pasture ornament).

When I bought Latte, I knew she was a good size for me and had really smooth gaits. I had worked around her for a couple of years, knew she had been a lesson pony for a bit and hated it, and though she was generally good under saddle could be a real pill on the ground. For the first few months after I bought her, she continued to do experimental nips and kicks, and one time broke my glasses hitting me in the face with her head. I asked her, "is this how it's always going to be - will I never be able to trust you an inch?" I don't know just when or how it happened, but not being allowed to ever get away with it eventually got through to her, I guess, because she doesn't "attack" me any more. She is horribly "buddy sour;" if we take Sunny out for any reason, she has a cow. Guess what? She can just have a cow - we are going to work with Sunny anyway. If Latte gets too wild, she gets put in her stall. She can yell all she wants in there, but at least she can't tear things up.

A few days ago, BB2K took Latte out and was riding her around the yard bareback. I wasn't doing anything else at the time, so I got Sunny out, and we all tootled around the yard, sometimes together, sometimes not. At one point, we switched horses, so she had the hardhead that wanted to trot everywhere and I had the horse that couldn't be alone. I wanted to go this way, Sunny was going that way, Latte didn't want to let Sunny out of her sight. Latte is quick, agile, and powerful - I have seen her buck BB2K off without really trying, and I was riding bareback and not having been on a horse in over 2 years, totally out of shape - I really didn't want to risk a Big Blonde blow-up, but I couldn't let her dictate to me, either. So, we wound up chasing her tail for a few spins, first this way, then that way, then this way . . . . ready to go my way, Latte? She decided that going straight in any direction was preferable to going around in tight little circles - pressure, and release. It doesn't have to be a war, but sometimes getting your way with a bored, spoiled horse involves a bit of creativity (which sadly, a lot of "horse trainers" lack).

9. abigalerose

Feb 22, 2016
    I totally agree that color doesn't make a good horse. And really if i decide to breed June what I will be looking for before everything else is temperament, bloodlines, and conformation. But if I can find one with the color I want too, that'd be awesome. Sorrel is the only color that I refuse, but even still, if I found an amazing sorrel horse, I'd still probably be a sucker for it. And my first horse, well I'm sure with some creativity and time he woulda been fine, and I understand why it didn't work with the girl I sold him to becuase she's got a one track way of training. But at the time I had him I was in no position (experience wise) to try and "fix" him myself, I still probably couldn't do it, he was a lot of horse. But he was smart, so I'm sure someone who knows that not every horse can be trained the same way could probably get him back to his old self.
    And honestly... I have no idea who that horse is [​IMG]

10. chicken19

chicken19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2015
    Riding my horse
    My Coop
    Really?
    He's only the mots famous racehorse of all time..........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by