Horse Talk

Pics
What were June's parents? Palomino is red plus creme. You really can't tell if a red horse carries Agouti, because Agouti acts by restricting black, and there isn't any black for it to act on in a red-based horse. Black is non-agouti, so if the Friesian is black, you know he doesn't carry agouti - the only possible source for Agouti in this hypothetical cross would be June, and you can't tell by looking whether she has it or not. It's not unheard of for Friesians to carry red, but it's pretty unusual.

You could spend a little money, send some hair off to a lab that does genetic testing and find out what she has; that would help you narrow down the possibilities. But offhand:

Unless June has Agouti, you can rule out Agouti colors like Bay and Buckskin
Unless the Friesian carries red, you can rule out red-based colors like Palomino

So what you are left with is basic black, and black + creme, which is a color sometimes called smoky black

Smoky blacks can vary from not-quite-black to a sort of chocolate color.

What were June's parents? Palomino is red plus creme. You really can't tell if a red horse carries Agouti, because Agouti acts by restricting black, and there isn't any black for it to act on in a red-based horse. Black is non-agouti, so if the Friesian is black, you know he doesn't carry agouti - the only possible source for Agouti in this hypothetical cross would be June, and you can't tell by looking whether she has it or not. It's not unheard of for Friesians to carry red, but it's pretty unusual. You could spend a little money, send some hair off to a lab that does genetic testing and find out what she has; that would help you narrow down the possibilities. But offhand: Unless June has Agouti, you can rule out Agouti colors like Bay and Buckskin Unless the Friesian carries red, you can rule out red-based colors like Palomino So what you are left with is basic black, and black + creme, which is a color sometimes called smoky black Smoky blacks can vary from not-quite-black to a sort of chocolate color.
My mini is the color of this horse....

June's dam was palomino, sire was sorrel. And her dad was.. Wow. I don't like qh that much and I hate sorrel horses (unless they're Peruvian pasos) but oh my goodness, he was one of the prettiest horses I have ever seen. He was solid sorrel, not a white marks on him, so well built and had the prettiest mane I have ever seen, he was stunning. Anyways, that's besides the point. June is from a palomino and a sorrel, and if it makes any difference, in the middle of her tail she has a big chunk of silver and dark black hairs. I don't know much about genetics, still trying to learn. But although a nice colored foal would be great, I'm okay with black and smoky black too. I actually like the blacks better than bay. I know if I was going for color my best bet would obviously be a quarter horse, and I tried out some different options on the coat calculater and I think my best bet to breed her to (color wise) would be a smoky grulla. But my top priority is temperament, health, and conformation. And then bloodlines, then color. And that's only if I decide its worth the risk to breed her. I do want to, for sure, but I still have to weigh if it's worth it or not and then I'd need to wait till at least next spring. So that gives me lots of time to debate on qh vs friesian

Blondie has some of those black hairs too; as does Sunny. who is a chestnut- based Sabino roan.

This is Latte (and that is NOT me riding her!)

She's not squeaky clean in that picture; please excuse, but not all of the dark areas are dirt. If you look on her face, you can see a dark blotch right in the middle of it - that is black hair. Her forelock looks gray, and it pretty much is, even when she's clean. Her legs are always chocolate brown in color, and her mane and tail have black roots. Latte is a color known as a sooty palomino. Sooty puts dark color back on a horse that other genes have taken it off of; you see it most often on Palominos and Buckskins.In addition to the darker areas on her legs, Latte has a few Bend Or spots on her hindquarters.

Last edited:
Ah ha! So what does it mean for their genetics when a palomino has dark hairs somewhere on them? Anything?

If it's just a few, it's just one of those things - we may say that red-based horses don't have black in their coats, but a few hairs here and there may, just the same.
idunno.gif

Ohh. I suppose if I do decide to breed her I'll get her genetic tested. If I go with friesian it doesn't matter much anyways, but if I do qh and she's non agouti I'd want to find a homozygous black, homozygous dun smoky grullo (that's totally possible right?)
And if I could find one like that with a bald face..
1f60d.png
1f60d.png
1f60d.png

But these are the possibilities if she's non agouti and was bred to a stud that color

And this is what's possible if I put in unknown on the agouti part. The only color I'm not a fan of is bay dun but even that isn't too bad.

If I could find a stud that color with good bloodlines temperament and conformation I'd probably be sold haha

Ohh. I suppose if I do decide to breed her I'll get her genetic tested. If I go with friesian it doesn't matter much anyways, but if I do qh and she's non agouti I'd want to find a homozygous black, homozygous dun smoky grullo (that's totally possible right?)
And if I could find one like that with a bald face..
1f60d.png
1f60d.png
1f60d.png

But these are the possibilities if she's non agouti and was bred to a stud that color

And this is what's possible if I put in unknown on the agouti part. The only color I'm not a fan of is bay dun but even that isn't too bad.

If I could find a stud that color with good bloodlines temperament and conformation I'd probably be sold haha

What's the website you used for that?

Back
Top Bottom