Horse Talk

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by abigalerose, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    I have to admit, when you said something about having another horse for your girl to play with, I was wondering just what kind of "play" you were expecting. I have only mares here, but I still see some of this kind of behavior, even the mounting. [​IMG]

First of all, having a stallion/gelding mounting her will not cause a mare to go into heat - that is something that her body will do, regardless of the presence/absence of a male. Having a male around simply encourages the females to show obvious signs of what their hormones are doing, it doesn't change the hormonal cycle itself - the myth of "bringing a mare into heat" is just that - a myth. Just how a mare behaves during this time varies - some are really obnoxious, and some show little in the way of behavioral changes. Honestly, at the barn where I worked, we had more trouble with the geldings when the girls were cycling than with the girls themselves - the flirty hussies kept the guys so riled up, they were constantly beating each other up. Someone once told me that the only real difference between a stallion and a gelding is that a stallion can settle mares, and in some cases, I swear it's true. While there are a few geldings that seem to be "dead from the waist down" as they say, most still know that they are male, and some can (and will!) go through all of the motions, given the opportunity.

I don't know where this idea that "mares run the herd" comes from, but what I have seen doesn't bear it out. Dominant horses run the herd, and they are just as likely to be male as not. I watched in astonishment as a gelding that had formerly been the bottom horse in every group he had been put in for years suddenly decided that he was a stud when some Appaloosa mares got put into the pasture next to him, and he beat the stuffin' out of all three of his current pasture mates (including my mare, Latte, who had been the top horse at that point). A few months later, even he got bumped back down the ladder when a very dominant Arabian gelding got put back in the pasture and reclaimed his former spot at the top.

Older horses that are in good health usually dominate immature animals, so I'm betting that this gelding outranks your filly. Obviously, you don't want her getting hurt, so I think your choice to separate them is the best thing to do at this time.

Personally, I can't think of a worse reason for breeding a growing youngster than to prevent her from going into estrus, so I think that "option" shouldn't be an option at all, but should be put right off the table.
    This is something you will need to talk to your vet about. The cost and risk of the procedure seems to depend on how it is done, and there are apparently a number of ways of doing it.

2. abigalerose

abigalerose Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2016
    Ah okay, I was always told that a male can bring a mare into heat whenever and throw her off her schedule, I didn't know it was a myth. Do you think eventually she'll settle down or will she act like this every single time she's in heat (neighing and running around, etc.) I'm not 100% sure but I think this is her first time being in heat around a gelding. She's not too bad when I work with her as long as she can't see him, so that's a plus I guess. And the only reason breeding her is an option is becuase I had considered it before, but I'd want to wait till she was 4 anyways and then that would only solve the problem for a year. I might look more into spaying, I didn't even know until very recently that you could spay mares. And then if I decided to do that then I'd have to decide if I wanted a foal from her first. So many things to think about. But I'll give them more time to settle before I worry about anything too drastic. And I named my gelding Pheonix.
    And did this with June today
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. chicken19

chicken19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2015
    Riding my horse
    My Coop
    Your mare does have nice conformation. I recommend breeding her to another registered QH instead of a friesian. There are some very tall QH stallions.
    Lungeing just takes time to learn. I recommend using a round pen without a halter or lead on her to start. Also lungeing is much, much, much, harder if you don't keep your body in the horse's 'go' zone.

1 person likes this.
  4. chicken19

Jul 16, 2015
    Riding my horse
    My Coop

5. abigalerose

Feb 22, 2016
    Originally the lunging was tried in the round pen with no halter and that's what we were having trouble with. I can lunge her now on the lead rope but only at a walk. We're slowly working our way up though so hopefully I can get her round penning some time. And yeah, I can't decide on the purebred qh or friesian. On the friesian it's not just the height I like its the conformation, gait, and temperament, and I know that there are half friesian registeries. But on the other hand I know I could find a really nice qh stud and get an awesome purebred foal.
    Probably the reason I'm struggling with that is becuase I truthfully don't really like quarter horses that much

6. chicken19

Jul 16, 2015
    Riding my horse
    My Coop
    That's great! It's also always good to have a trainer help you with things like that.
    Do you ride english or western?

7. abigalerose

Feb 22, 2016
    Well I was having trouble finding a trainer, but I think they lady I adopted Phoenix from might be willing to help me with some training stuff, I'll know soon becuase I'm going to take some riding lessons from her. I ride western but I'd like to try out English. I need a refresher on western first though

8. chicken19

Jul 16, 2015
    Riding my horse
    My Coop
    Unless you have a lot of experience you probably should have a trainer help you with your horse. A greenhorn training a greenhorn sometimes doesn't work but if you work hard enough and study up enough, anything can happen.

9. abigalerose

Feb 22, 2016
    I've halter broke before, so with that so far so good, I am having trouble with the lunging but we're starting to get the hang of it. I'm sure the lady I'm taking lessons from will help me with training her under saddle too. I've got an oky start, I can flex her and back her up, and sit on her in the saddle, but I'm not sure yet how to teach her to respond to leg pressure. I spend pretty much 90% of my time reading/talking to people/watching videos, and I am learning a lot, but I'm hoping that she will help me with some of the bigger stuff that I don't know how to do

10. abigalerose

Feb 22, 2016
    Oh, and this is why (look wise) I can't decide between qh and friesian if I do decide to breed her (not any sooner than next spring btw). Of course, if she has a foal I'm keeping it no matter what and I won't ever be selling it, and although a well built registered flashy qh foal wouldn't be bad, I really love the temperament and especially the build of a friesian cross, in my opinion, a qh/friesian cross has the best build you can possibly get, there's just a certain look that I really love and they meet it 100%
    The only thing I could think of that would make the big buckskin in these pictures any better is if it had bigger hooves. I do love big hooves.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And a half friesian foal could still be registered with a friesian registry, not that that matters much to me since I'd just have it as my personal horse and I don't show or anything. And I don't think (when bred to a palomino) that there are many color options, just black, buckskin, palomino, and bay I believe. But I couldn't find any pictures of palomino or bay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by