Horse Talk

Pics
So cute!
1f60d.png
That's basically exactly what my sister wants, a gentle buckskin mare

So, June is ready to be ridden at a canter, and nerve wise, I'm ready too. But skill wise I'm still a little iffy. I've been working on my balance at a trot and it's definitely getting better, but I'm still pretty bouncy, so should I go head and try for canter? Or wait? And is it easier to ride a canter or trot?

Just had to drop in and put up a photo of my 2 yr old on our quarter horse "Dixie". We have 6 kids from ages 2 yr. - 18 yr. and they all love and ride her. She is 8 yrs old and absolutely fantastic.
She is very patient with them all.

We love our pretty buckskin!
Christie

That is a gorgeous color!

Um who are you and what have you done with my horse?
But really, June is starting to look so different, all her winter fuzzies and dapples are going away for the summer, and she's getting muscles, and she's still not done shedding out yet. I think I better buy some whitening shampoo for her mane and tail though since *someone* can't stay out of the pond. Lol.
Speaking of her not looking the same, she wasn't acting the same today either. She was spooky and bratty, throwing her head all over the place and wrinkling up her lips and stomping. Not sure what the problem was, but we did some lunging since she didn't want to listen.

So, June is ready to be ridden at a canter, and nerve wise, I'm ready too. But skill wise I'm still a little iffy. I've been working on my balance at a trot and it's definitely getting better, but I'm still pretty bouncy, so should I go head and try for canter? Or wait? And is it easier to ride a canter or trot?
The canter (done properly) is much easier to ride than the trot.
If she refuses to canter make sure not to let her get away with it but be patient.
I own a horse who was allowed to use bucking as an excuse not to canter and it took me a very long time to break him from that habit.
chicken19

Um who are you and what have you done with my horse?
But really, June is starting to look so different, all her winter fuzzies and dapples are going away for the summer, and she's getting muscles, and she's still not done shedding out yet. I think I better buy some whitening shampoo for her mane and tail though since *someone* can't stay out of the pond. Lol.
Speaking of her not looking the same, she wasn't acting the same today either. She was spooky and bratty, throwing her head all over the place and wrinkling up her lips and stomping. Not sure what the problem was, but we did some lunging since she didn't want to listen.
Wow, your baby girl really is growing up, isn't she? In that first pic, she looks very young; if I were asked to guess her age just from that pic I'd have gone with about a year and a half. In the second pic, she looks much more mature, and it isn't just the muscling. The back looks longer, the hip looks longer, the body more filled out; if you told me that horse was 4 years old, I'd believe it. Looking good!

Back
Top Bottom