Horse Talk

Yeah I was reading about that, I definitely wouldn't do it if I didn't already have a horse, but since I do maybe it'd work?
June is only 2 - she's just a baby herself. Getting another youngster would be sort of a case of "the blind leading the blind." No doubt she is used to being pushed around; but as easygoing as June seems to be, if the foal had any real spirit to it, I fear she'd be such a pushover that the foal would soon be dominating her. And that isn't a really good place for a youngster to go, if Syd is anything to go by.

Syd was weaned at 3 months, because her owner was eager to sell her mother. Shortly after that, she was introduced to Betsy, a 32" mini mule. Betsy became Syd's surrogate mother. A few months later, the owner got tired of the acts of hooliganism the pair were getting up to, and gave Betsy away - to me. A couple of months after that, Syd also came to live with us. When Syd moved here, Betsy was the boss, and things were relatively peaceful, but eventually Syd decided to become the boss mare. Betsy is a lot smaller, and clearly didn't care that much about the matter; the transfer of power was relatively peaceful . . . . until Syd decided to try to dominate me. Big mistake. BIG mistake - as Syd found out. Fortunately, it isn't that hard to convince a 40" pony that you are tougher than it is, and it had better not mess with you . . . .

Unfortunately, though Syd quickly understood that she had to respect me, that didn't extend to anybody else. As I told my daughter, "I can tell Syd how to behave around me, and I can tell her how to behave with you when I'm around, but you have to tell her how to behave when I'm not around. You need to be the boss. And really, Syd needs you to be the boss, too, because she simply can't be allowed to go around thinking that she gets to push people around." For years, we jokingly referred to Syd as "the man-eating mini," because she would charge people in the paddock unless I was there to tell her not to. She's a lot better than she was, but Syd is still a brat - it seems that every single person that she meets has to tell her all over again just where she stands with people.
he.gif

Ah I didn't even think about June still being young! I guess if I decide to do that I'll have to wait until she's older

That is great that you want to rescue a foal ( or other horse). There are so many that need homes - your heart will feel happier than if you bred your mare.

Bottle babies are more of a challenge, but not all of them are that bad. We had one a few years back. He was a 16.3 appendix QH, a palomino even. His mom, a thoroughbred, died when he was only 6 days old. He definitely had some quirks about him, but nothing horrible. He like to stand really close to people, especially if you were grooming him. He would swing his head around constantly and hit people with it all the time. I don't think it would have been an issue if he would have been taught to stand back when he was younger. He was about 6 or 7 when we got him so he already learned the bad habits.

It's so hard to decide what to do! There was a horse yesterday who needed rescued or she was going to be sent to slaughter, she was a beautiful paint with a blue eye, 12 years old, gentle, and broke. But my grandpa still hasn't completely made up his mind about a second horse. Luckily someone saved her at the VERY last minute. Ideally I need to rescue one like that. But I would love a mustang or a foal. Ugh, decisions
1f644.png

On the bright side, I think I'm moving sooner than I thought (I will be living on my parents land but in my own house) and I got the okay to put a six foot high pipe or wood fence (30 x 30) off of the barn where there's a nice big run in shelter, and put up a round pen, and fence in some pasture as well (still trying to decide what to fence the pasture with) so I'll be totally set up for a mustang, or whatever I decide to do. Which is exciting! Then if I get moved soon enough I won't have to make my grandpa decide if he's okay with me putting another horse on his land.
On a side note, I have thought about just rescuing an old horse, 20 or so, that's no longer able to ride, so I can focus on June's training and still give her a companion. I just don't know what to do yet!

I'm not sure where you live, but keep in mind that there are a lot of dishonest people working in the "slaughter" pipeline. They actually buy horses or obtain them for free with no intention of ever shipping them to slaughter. They will increase the price by up to $1000 and play on people's emotions by saying they will ship the horse to slaughter. The horse could have been purchased from the original owner for a fraction of the cost before the meat guy got it.

Oh, there's a lady in my area who goes to the feedlot every week, takes pictures of a bunch of the horses and gets what info she can on them, posts them on her Facebook page and puts the date that they're suppose to be shipped to Mexico and tries to find homes for them before they are. She's saved a lot, but unfortunately there's still a lot who don't get adopted in time

So, we have two horses and are looking for a third. Friday we went and saw a horse named Ruby, she is 20 yrs old but acts like she's eight, she's really nice and we really liked her. So Saturday we went back again and we were thinking we were going to buy her and before we left the owner said we didn't have to make any decisions tonight and that she would tell the poeple coming Sunday not to come because sale was pending.
So today (sunday) my mom tells her we want to buy her. Then later my mom gets a text saying she sold Ruby because the other poeple had cash. My sister bawled, she loved her already, I was pretty sad too.

It just makes me so mad!
1f621.png
Why???!!!
-had to vent.

So, we have two horses and are looking for a third. Friday we went and saw a horse named Ruby, she is 20 yrs old but acts like she's eight, she's really nice and we really liked her. So Saturday we went back again and we were thinking we were going to buy her and before we left the owner said we didn't have to make any decisions tonight and that she would tell the poeple coming Sunday not to come because sale was pending.
So today (sunday) my mom tells her we want to buy her. Then later my mom gets a text saying she sold Ruby because the other poeple had cash. My sister bawled, she loved her already, I was pretty sad too.

It just makes me so mad!
1f621.png
Why???!!!
-had to vent.
I'm sorry you lost out, but I can understand what happened from the seller's perspective. "A bird in hand is worth two in a bush," and all that; I have seen what looked like done deals fall through very suddenly when someone finds a better deal somewhere else. They don't always tell you what happened, either - sometimes they just stop answering your calls, and you get stuck with something you wanted to be rid of, maybe even turned down other offers for . . . . She had two parties seriously interested in a 20-year-old horse; can't get more serious than cash in hand, can you? It's rotten being on the short end of that kind of thing, from either side. Hopefully, y'all will find an even better horse soon.

Sorry you lost out on a horse for your sister. It wasn't meant to be, but there is a reason behind it and you will find a better horse.

When you find something you want, be sure to make an offer on it right away. The good ones sell fast.

Back
Top Bottom