Horse Talk

I keep forgetting to post thos :he

Unicorn has been ridden! :wee :yesss:

Well, sat on.... But still! :p
20171125_150611.jpg

We got two whole steps before Ms. Future Equestrian's older sister ducked through the panels and spooked her.... :barnie. Mom snatched Squirt off before she fell off. Considering that was Mira's first time being worked in a while, I'm proud of her. :D

From what I've read, PSSM1 is a dominant trait, meaning that a horse with only one copy of the gene can be just as badly affected as an animal with two copies. The problem, apparently, is that this gene causes sugars to build up to abnormal and harmful levels in the muscles of the horse, which results in stiffness, soreness, and even damage and/or wasting of the muscles. Some horses that have this gene may never show symptoms. Management of this condition means limiting the starches and sugars in the horse's diet, and regular exercise.

Haha that’s what i thought too! I kinda like it lol. But i miss the days when she was muscly and graceful looking. I need to start working her again.

Lol that happens to June allll the time, looks even funnier when you pull the burrs out and their forelock turns into a big poofball!

Yeah, I like her new fjord look LOL but yeah, probably would be good to work her again

I keep forgetting to post thos :he

Unicorn has been ridden! :wee :yesss:

Well, sat on.... But still! :p
View attachment 1199488

We got two whole steps before Ms. Future Equestrian's older sister ducked through the panels and spooked her.... :barnie. Mom snatched Squirt off before she fell off. Considering that was Mira's first time being worked in a while, I'm proud of her. :D

Nice!

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but... The program I manage has a positive PSSM Quarter Horse, and another that we are suspicious is positive but haven't tested.

I would not buy a horse that has it. (I was given one of the horses due to his issues related to PSSM, after 6 mths in my care he is finally comfortable and moving well. This guy is bred out the whazoo and campaigned heavily as a younger horse in reining (has glossy full page ads in the QH Journal). Tons of training and buttons, but original owners did not want to deal with the issues that come with PSSM)

It seems easy to manage on paper, but in reality, it isn't. Feed wise, both horses require specialized feed and additional fat. ZERO treats, which is hard to control in this particular environment.

Both have chronic stiffness - soreness - pain issues and require chiropractic care. They do NOT do well with "time off". They need to be used almost daily to keep them supple.

Before getting their diet down to a science, we had lots of issues with one of them tying up. Both horses came in underweight, and putting weight on with the diet restrictions has been difficult.

Thank you guys for all the info. I talked to her breeder last night who apparently had some confusion on what PSSM1 was and how it works, because she thought her stud had to have 2 copy’s of the gene to have it but that’s obviously not the case. After a slightly heated discussion we got it cleared up and she realizes that she’s made a mistake. She ordered the 5 panel test for Jasmine for me and said if Jasmine does have it that she’ll take care of it (not sure what she meant by that, maybe that she’ll buy her back?) but we’re hoping she doesn’t, and then hopefully i can get Jasmine sold. Not sure if she will continue to breed her stud or not, i don’t think she should personally.

And a side note, it’s been awhile since I’ve caught June laying down in the field, so here’s some cute pictures.
5DA70B7E-AFD0-429E-902A-C409C415DE79.jpeg
23BDE600-4275-4BA5-A371-EDE3C7493DE0.jpeg
5DC41909-6D40-4049-B0F6-88201332C391.jpeg
6F032925-272F-41AC-A56C-4C53D6DDA507.jpeg
0AAAFBA9-6289-4C24-BA79-E98526C555EA.jpeg

Thank you guys for all the info. I talked to her breeder last night who apparently had some confusion on what PSSM1 was and how it works, because she thought her stud had to have 2 copy’s of the gene to have it but that’s obviously not the case. After a slightly heated discussion we got it cleared up and she realizes that she’s made a mistake. She ordered the 5 panel test for Jasmine for me and said if Jasmine does have it that she’ll take care of it (not sure what she meant by that, maybe that she’ll buy her back?) but we’re hoping she doesn’t, and then hopefully i can get Jasmine sold. Not sure if she will continue to breed her stud or not, i don’t think she should personally.

And a side note, it’s been awhile since I’ve caught June laying down in the field, so here’s some cute pictures.
View attachment 1199970 View attachment 1199975 View attachment 1199977 View attachment 1199980 View attachment 1199983

Glad you got it cleared up and hopefully she doesn't have it!

And awww June is so cute!!

Does anyone have any advice on cracked hooves? I just recently got a 17 yr old palomino gelding and he has (what I think to be) major cracks in his hooves. We haven't gotten the farrier out to our place yet but...should I be putting hoof oil on his hooves? Supplements? Boots? Shoes? (He is barefoot) I'd appreciate any tips....I'll see if I can get pics. of his hooves soon.

Back
Top Bottom