Horse Trailer Chicken Coop?

Mulemom

Songster
12 Years
May 8, 2007
Sacramento, CA
So...I find myself in a situation where I need to leave in a hurry.

I have actually found a great place I can rent cheap and bring all my animals! The problem is they used to have chickens, but their coop was not secure and they only have one chicken left, "Vivor", cuz he is the only survivor.

She said I can bring mine, but of course I want to make them safe, and this is kind of temporary so I was thinking.....Why not an old horse trailer? I've seen older one's that I wouldn't haul a horse in for around $500 and I think I can make it so it can compltely close up at night, and still have ventalation. Feed bins become nexting boxes and I remove the center devider and put in roosts. Then when I move, I just close it up, Chickens inside and move it to me new place!

What do you think? What am I missing? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I personally think it is a terrific idea! But, I am always someone who looks at practicality versus aesthetics, I can't think of any down side to it, unless the chickens wouldn't like roosting in a metal shed... might be very noisy in a storm.
but, hey, let me know how this works out for you, I might just try it!

haha! that is funny because our very first chicken "cluckers senior the red star" flew out of an old horse trailer someone brought to our house. it was the funniest thing because my brother was sitting right there and the guy who brought us the horse trailer was mexican and could not speek english that great so he says to my brother, "Little boy you want a chicken?" my brother unsuringly said, "ya... i guess thank you!" she sadly past away a long time ago i really miss her. she was the sweatist thing ever! she was the one that started it all. she was way back when, when all i had was a very colorful roo "nachos" and cluckers running around my place with no chicken coop, no fence, all wild! they had many machinery sheds to go in and 2 hay sheds where she laid her eggs.not that long ago "and remember cluckers is long gone by then and we have WAY more chickens and are fenced in now with a coop" i found one of cluckers eggs in a hay shed still perfect not even rotten! well maybe it was rotten i didnt crack it open to see. but now like i said we have a coop, run, etc. we have many chickens and are living happily ever after!

i personaly think your idea is great! just make sure the chickens like it and most importantly make sure it is safe for them.

Someone posted pictures a while ago of their coop that was an old horse trailer. Might want to do a search and see if you can find it to see how they did it.

Oh I would love to see pics of a horse trailer converted into coop. I imagine I could find an old horse trailer out here pretty easily.

Sounds like it will work! Of course, you have to show us pics when you get it done!
wink.png

~Rebecca

Back
Top Bottom