Horse trying to kill other animals

I've had several horses that weren't broke, but they don't attack.

I'd think long and hard about breeding her, with that level of aggression. I would not want to purchase her offspring, especially since most minis go to pet homes with folks who want docile, friendly animals.

You have a Mare with high hormones....If never raised with other animals from a young age they hate other species!
I have a Mare I just sold because she hates geldings, dogs and my Mini gelding....I know she would for sure kill my Birds if she could.....Its hard sometimes with Mares......

Hope with more time and training she gets used to other livestock......

Cheers!

Do you have a horse trailer? If so my best advice is use it. Youre not gonna break her from hating humans. And if you do what will happen if she has to go to a new place with new people? Just my 2¢

I bought a Mini gelding back in November....He is 3 with not much handling.....He has come along way since then...Time and patience work wonders....He is not mean, just unsure with no proper training to gain trust......I have him in his own pen and he drags a lounge line around so I can catch him....Teddy is doing great...I bend down to his level and he comes for treats and lets me pet him.....If you give up, she will be sent possibly for slaughter?.......

I never give up.....Time is what they need!

I don't know anything about horses, but I certainly agree with donrae regarding the importance of temperament in the of breeding animals, especially animals one intends to sell to other people as farm stock or pets. Farm stock and pets both can be a substantial investment on the part of the buyer as well as the seller, and temperament is a standard criterion for evaluating animals. I hope you find someone who is knowledgeable about horses and who can provide better advice than I can, and I wish you lots of luck. Please keep us posted. Whatever you decide, whether it turns out that there is little chance of rehabilitating such a horse, or whether it turns out that you or someone else can make a difference if you only have the right skills and environment, I would really love to learn along with you.

Susan

Being she is older, you do not know her past abuses she has had to overcome?
Horses take time and with the proper time, patience and trust....They are forgiving and learn to trust.....Baby steps are needed and always end a lesson on a good note...Horses are smart.....

Cheers!

Do you have a horse trailer? If so my best advice is use it. Youre not gonna break her from hating humans. And if you do what will happen if she has to go to a new place with new people? Just my 2¢
Steady on!

@KarateHorse How much horse experience do you have? I ask, because I know a lot of people get into minis because they are cute, but don't seem to realize that they need to be given the same respect and training as a big horse. It's kind of like little dogs being brats because their owners let them get away with things that would scare the bejesus out of anybody if a big dog did it.

Horses are herd animals. They are used to living in a group where position within the group is determined by who can push who around, and they constantly jostle and test and shift position to see whether they can move up a notch or so. They do this to people, too. LOTS of people get pushed around by their horses, and maybe don't even understand that's what's happening, because of how subtly it's being done. The straight-out people aggressive horse is a bit more unusual, but it's not as uncommon as you might think.

A disrespectful, pushy horse doesn't need a one-way trip to the glue factory, what it needs is someone who can firmly, fairly, and consistently enforce the point that "I am #1, you are #2." The human, any human, outranks the horse, every time.

This is Syd, the Man-Eating Mini. I have known her from a foal, and have owned her since she was about 2. She has long understood that she doesn't get to push me around, but it has taken a long time for her to get the message that the same applies to people she doesn't know, too. She's not evil, though this tendency of hers could make her dangerous if she was allowed to get away with it. Truth be known, her personality is fun-loving and tomboyishly rowdy, and she tends to react rather than think, but she willingly does what is asked when she understands the task at hand.

I don't think she hates humans she just needs to know we are the top of the pecking order.

Being she is older, you do not know her past abuses she has had to overcome?
Horses take time and with the proper time, patience and trust....They are forgiving and learn to trust.....Baby steps are needed and always end a lesson on a good note...Horses are smart.....

Cheers!

She is only 2 and a half years old. She was on a farm with other minis and chickens.

Steady on! @KarateHorse How much horse experience do you have? I ask, because I know a lot of people get into minis because they are cute, but don't seem to realize that they need to be given the same respect and training as a big horse. It's kind of like little dogs being brats because their owners let them get away with things that would scare the bejesus out of anybody if a big dog did it. Horses are herd animals. They are used to living in a group where position within the group is determined by who can push who around, and they constantly jostle and test and shift position to see whether they can move up a notch or so. They do this to people, too. LOTS of people get pushed around by their horses, and maybe don't even understand that's what's happening, because of how subtly it's being done. The straight-out people aggressive horse is a bit more unusual, but it's not as uncommon as you might think. A disrespectful, pushy horse doesn't need a one-way trip to the glue factory, what it needs is someone who can firmly, fairly, and consistently enforce the point that "I am #1, you are #2." The human, any human, outranks the horse, every time. This is Syd, the Man-Eating Mini. I have known her from a foal, and have owned her since she was about 2. She has long understood that she doesn't get to push me around, but it has taken a long time for her to get the message that the same applies to people she doesn't know, too. She's not evil, though this tendency of hers could make her dangerous if she was allowed to get away with it. Truth be known, her personality is fun-loving and tomboyishly rowdy, and she tends to react rather than think, but she willingly does what is asked when she understands the task at hand.
These are our very first horses. We know we have to break her. We have another miniature horse that doesn't chase chickens

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom