Horseradish help

purpletree23

Songster
10 Years
May 15, 2009
I love horseradish. I grew up in Western New York where we put in on just about everything. I moved to New Hampshire about 5 years ago and can not find a decent jar of horseradish anywhere. It's not too popular here, so the heat and taste of the stuff in the grocery stores goes downhill fast because it sits on the shelf so long.

I planted my own horseradish and read everything I could about it. I have beautiful plants and roots but for the past two autumns I've been unable to process/shred/grate it properly. Can anyone help? The end product is a little hot but not that WHAM POW PAIN IN THE SINUS taste I'm looking for. Some of you know what I'm talking about.

I've read countless articles and have tried different methods to grate it but none work. I need a real horseradish lover to help.

Some methods I've tried are blending chopped cleaned roots in a blender with ice and then adding vinegar.

Another is grating it and then adding vinegar.

All of the recipes say to grate OUTSIDE because the fumes are so harsh but I've never had that experience.

Help. Almost time to try again.

If anyone needs plants I will gladly send them at no charge except for the postage. They will be the top of the plant approx 3 inches long that can be planted this fall and will grow to harvest next fall.

PM me with name and address.

Try this: first shred it raw in a food processor then change the blade to the chopper and chop it fine. It should be pretty dry. If you store it frozen it will stay strong until you need it. I cook it in water until the consistency is creamy. and add the vinegar (and maybe sugar) after I take it off the heat.

I do the grating outdoors and the cooking with the vent fan on and the windows opened.

Last edited:
Thank you. Thank you.
wee.gif

There is a huge company that grows horseradish back in Wi, where we moved from (Silver Spring Foods). If I remember correctly, the fields where they grew the horseradish were a lower organic, sandy soil. Not too much water either, you don't want soggy roots.
I know from experience that the more acid the soil, the hotter the chili peppers get; so maybe a sandier soil grows a hotter horseradish.
hu.gif

So, the secret is revealed! Wait to add the vinegar to get the heat! Thank you!

Is it too late to go dig mine up and process?

So, the secret is revealed! Wait to add the vinegar to get the heat! Thank you!

Is it too late to go dig mine up and process?

Probably fine now.... In the spring, the roots will be giving up nutrition to grow leaves....

WAIT !!! It is spring in places... still cold and snowing here... Dig a couple roots and see.... replant the top 1" of the root to sprout a new root for next year.....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom