Horses are here! :) and... lost a horse in transit :(

Oh dear! That's awful!
sad.png
Poor George...poor you!
hugs.gif

Oh gosh. I am so sorry for your loss! What a terrible thing to have happen. Bless the shippers for trying to save her. I can only hope that her death was quick and as painless as possible. Wishing you much strenght for the future.
hugs.gif

A pulmonary event like this is pretty quick. My national champion died of a pulmonary rupture...usually they go right down and never regain their feet. Mine did, but that is a millions to one chance, because he bled out into his chest cavity. He was born with a weak spot in his pulmonary artery and it ruptured. Rare but it does happen, and they can sometimes go for years undetected. Happens most often in racehorses but sometimes in other breeds too. Thankfully, no one was on his back and he did not suffer.

Very sorry to hear that this had to happen during a rescue! Hopefully this doesn't scare other people from shipping in rescues.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about George, At least he didn't suffer.

At least you have your other horses to ease the pain.

Can't wait to see photos of all your New Horses!

hugs.gif

we had that happen to us a couple of years ago.she was 17 and healthy as,well a horse.she was fine at lunch and when my husband came home at 5 she was dead.no signs of a struggle ,just blood coming from her nose.vet said an embolism most likely.
the good part is that they don't suffer,the bad part is you don't get to say goodbye.
hugs.gif

that sounds like what the shipper described - wobbled, made an odd confused turn, went down, and died in less than 5 minutes, never got back on his feet. I had the same thought - at least there wasn't a rider on him, and at least it was quick.

the rescue was about 8 years ago, so we had and enjoyed him all that time. he was always in your pocket - happy to help with whatever you were doing - moving things, shoveling manure, running a chainsaw - wanted to be in the middle of all of it. hence his name Curious George...

about a year after we got him we thought we might have to put him down - changed to a new farrier and discovered that what looked like a chronic crack/weak spot in his hoof was not a crack but white line disease. and that he had it in all 4 feet (with no complaint or lameness, and only the one crack to show for it). our outstanding new farrier was up to the challenge, and our vet said it was worth a try ... by the time we had it resolved, we had resected more than 75% of the exterior hoof wall on 3 feet, and more than 50% of the fourth. took most of a year, and twice weekly visits from the farrier . even with the hooves carefully rebuilt from epoxy, it was tough to keep the rebuilt sections intact - consecquence of weighing 2000 lbs. but with a year's worth of dedication, we got it cured, hooves grown back in healthy. part of what I love, and what can mask problems, is that the drafts are so stoic. George never took a lame step through the whole process.

<sigh> miss him.

that sounds like what the shipper described - wobbled, made an odd confused turn, went down, and died in less than 5 minutes, never got back on his feet. I had the same thought - at least there wasn't a rider on him, and at least it was quick.

the rescue was about 8 years ago, so we had and enjoyed him all that time. he was always in your pocket - happy to help with whatever you were doing - moving things, shoveling manure, running a chainsaw - wanted to be in the middle of all of it. hence his name Curious George...

about a year after we got him we thought we might have to put him down - changed to a new farrier and discovered that what looked like a chronic crack/weak spot in his hoof was not a crack but white line disease. and that he had it in all 4 feet (with no complaint or lameness, and only the one crack to show for it). our outstanding new farrier was up to the challenge, and our vet said it was worth a try ... by the time we had it resolved, we had resected more than 75% of the exterior hoof wall on 3 feet, and more than 50% of the fourth. took most of a year, and twice weekly visits from the farrier . even with the hooves carefully rebuilt from epoxy, it was tough to keep the rebuilt sections intact - consecquence of weighing 2000 lbs. but with a year's worth of dedication, we got it cured, hooves grown back in healthy. part of what I love, and what can mask problems, is that the drafts are so stoic. George never took a lame step through the whole process.

<sigh> miss him.

hugs.gif
from one draft horse lady to another. You gave him another chance in life which is more what most people would have done.

hugs.gif
everyone, thanks.

the rest of the herd was wibbling for tiny green things this morning. everyone is looking calm and settled.
it's a good thing.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom