sometimes it's out of spite tho
I disagree that horses are capable of spite, in the sense of trying to punish their people or get revenge on them for something that happened in the past.
Sure, they can buck or kick or bite or do other naughty behaviors because they don't want to do what we're asking, like be separated from their friends, keep going when they're tired or sore, or tolerate stuff they don't like, such as my horse pawing and fidgeting when being bathed.
But horses' reactions and emotions are much more straightforward than human reactions. They react badly when they don't like something right at that moment, simple as that. They react nicely when we make it pleasant for them to do what we're asking. The way they learn is simple - when I do this, it turns out pleasant. When I do this other thing, it's not so pleasant.
And their memories last longer and are more exact and less changeable than ours are. So both good and bad experiences get set in to their minds, and it takes a long time with consistent predictability to train a horse to overcome a bad memory and replace it with a better experience.
Horses are not spiteful. They are never looking to punish us. They might be angry or scared at a certain moment with us, but they are reacting to the various pleasant or unpleasant experiences they have been having throughout their lives, sometimes way in the past, since their memories don't fade the way ours as humans do.

Back
Top Bottom