♞Equestrian Chat Thread!♞

I’ve loved horses since I was two or three years old. Unfortunately, so far I’ve only had the opportunity to ride twice in my life. I hope it won’t be too long before that changes though, especially as our little farm grows and we get into larger livestock.

My future goal is to be a horse trainer. For now while I can’t ride, I have to satisfy myself by watching videos, especially horse training ones. By far my favorite trainer I’ve encountered so far is Warwick Schiller. Have any of you ever heard of him? He has a lot of great videos for free on his YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/WarwickSchiller/videos

I like how clear everything he says and does is, both to viewers and to the horses. They respond quickly, because they understand him. I like his philosophy, too—fixing the root of the problem, rather than the symptom. He explains the basic principles of horse training very well, too.

What are your favorite horse quotes? Some of mine are

“Whoever said a horse was dumb, was dumb.”

“My horse are my friends, not my slaves.” - Buck Brannaman

Horse training: “It’s never, ever the horses fault.” - Charles Wilhelm I think?

I like "no time spent in the saddle is wasted" (I think that is from Winston Churchill) and there is more to this quote but it along the lines of "When I bestride him I soar, he trots the air, and the Earth sings when he touches it" from Shakespeare. I found that quote under a gorgueous Friesian picture. These quotes might not be exact because I'm going from memory but, you get the idea!

Thank you!

I have found two horses that fit my budget...
A 14 year old bashkir curly cross (allergies :( )gelding for $1000 and an 8 year old QH mare for $600.

Also, my allergies aren't bad.. my eyes just get watery and itch.
$600 for an 8 yr. old Quarter mare? What's wrong with her? Sounds mighty cheap; be careful!

Last year Memphis got seriously injured, so badly I was afraid he'd be lame for life. We were on vacation in July, and from the injury it was clear he stuck his foot in my neighbor's fence ( our pasture is wooden rail and posts, but their fence is cheap wire strung on wooden posts. I never thought it safe, but it serves as one side of our pasture) got it caught, ripped it free, tearing a third of his entire hoof wall off, and slicing the foot deeply. I had to come back from my vacay to take care of him. This piece of hoof hung on like loose tooth does until the flesh on the inside had healed somewhat, then our farrier took it off. It was a horrible wound that took months of recovery, and to this day the hoof is misshapen and will not likely ever be the same. But he made a full recovery and I now am back in the saddle! I went out there and took the 2 bottom strands off to keep it from recurring, something I wish I did the moment I first got him. But my neighbor insisted it was ok, because all the years her horses never once injured themselves on it, but Memphis isn't a normal, sane horse.

Would've gotten DD into 4H if we had a program here when she was littler. Now that one finally got started in our area, she's not interested. The lass has set her eyes on learning to drive. I suspect when we retire Rena, I'll be looking for a hubby horse and convince my old man to ride with me. Maybe a TWH .. hmm ..
Good choice; nothing else compares for comfort IMO

Lifelong horse crazy here. I don't own horses due to land and budget restrictions, but a friend of mine owns a few and I ride there occasionally.
This is my mount, sweet Sunny. He's a Missouri Fox Trotter gelding and about 10 years old. He's a bit on the slow side but I prefer him over the more fiery mounts because old bones don't bounce ;)

I only trail ride. I use an endurance saddle so I can't classify myself as being in any one particular discipline.
View attachment 1298899
Hey, you! Imagine finding you over here! I'll make a TWHer of you yet; still working on it. :frow

Last year Memphis got seriously injured, so badly I was afraid he'd be lame for life. We were on vacation in July, and from the injury it was clear he stuck his foot in my neighbor's fence ( our pasture is wooden rail and posts, but their fence is cheap wire strung on wooden posts. I never thought it safe, but it serves as one side of our pasture) got it caught, ripped it free, tearing a third of his entire hoof wall off, and slicing the foot deeply. I had to come back from my vacay to take care of him. This piece of hoof hung on like loose tooth does until the flesh on the inside had healed somewhat, then our farrier took it off. It was a horrible wound that took months of recovery, and to this day the hoof is misshapen and will not likely ever be the same. But he made a full recovery and I now am back in the saddle! I went out there and took the 2 bottom strands off to keep it from recurring, something I wish I did the moment I first got him. But my neighbor insisted it was ok, because all the years her horses never once injured themselves on it, but Memphis isn't a normal, sane horse.

Wow, that's terrible.

That's why when I get horses I intend to train every single one of them to lead by a hind foot AND be hobbled. So they don't panic and try to rip free if they ever get their foot caught on something.

Back
Top Bottom