Pics
who has watched a horse get showed, shoed or gelded? :lol: share your experience!
When DH1 and I traveled across several states by covered wagon beck in the spring of 1974, we had several horses (anywhere from 5 to 7 as I recall), and shoeing was a frequent occurrence. Mostly we used rubber-clad shoes because we were traveling an average of 20 miles a day on pavement. These shoes were shock absorbent so better on the horses' joints, but also gave better traction, so safer. DH1 learned how to do it. It's kind of back-breaking work. One horse used to turn his head around to watch, lol! Some horses will stand there politely and relax. Others will lean on you if you let them. I've seen farriers smack a horse in the ribs with a tool to make them stand on their own three feet. Dogs love the hoof parings, they make good chew toys. A good farrier can keep a horse sound and fit. A horse's feet are its foundation. A poor farrier can ruin a good horse and cause joint damage. If you find a good one, stick with him/her. They're worth whatever they charge.

Back
Top Bottom