Hello horse people! I haven't talked to ya'll in forever. I love seeing updates from peoples lovely equines on here!! If anyone has more pictures to share I'd love to see. :pop

I thought I'd pop in and give a bit of an update, since my last quite dramatic post about Ginger lol. It turns out I've learned even more from this mare, and yes, Ginger the horse I have been caring for has actually stayed with us. I managed to get her sound enough to do light walk-trot, and now she has resumed giving lessons to kids once again, and I have been messing a lot with groundwork and stretches with her.

For those that haven't heard, I care for a lesson horse at my barn named Ginger. I'm quite close with her, and she's been the horse I have learned a ton of health care and husbandry with. A few months ago, we learned she had fairly bad navicular disease and also arthritis in her pastern. We thought she might not get sound again, because she kept going on and off lame and then finally was lame for a long time, so we began to consider rehoming her. We could never find a place to take her, so long story short, I worked with her and she finally became sound. We slowly brought her back into work, and now she has been doing her duty as a lesson horse for the last couple months. :D

At first, I'll admit, I thought her navicular disease was the end of her haha, but turns out I've learned a ton about that and arthritis in horses, and I have learned how to manage her leg so she can stay sound. Besides colicing the other week and giving us a nice vet bill, she's been doing wonderful and living her happy little life at our barn.

I'll be very sad to leave her, but excitingly enough, I graduate college next spring and I plan on making horse training my full time career. I am starting to make plans now on how to start going to other trainers and "shopping around" the state to learn more and hopefully, eventually, land a training job! It'll be a fun time, or so I hope. Definitely a hard time, but one I'm willing to embrace!

Attachments

• 20230113_101657.jpg
    20230113_101657.jpg
    707.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230128_103745.jpg
    20230128_103745.jpg
    868.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230112_164219.jpg
    20230112_164219.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
@ButtonHoarder Sysco looks like my childhood pony, also named Cisco! :love

She was the best horse ever! And I miss her everyday!

Here's my boy, in the mud. We've had really warm weather and lots of rain! Very un-Winter like weather!

I think in the future I want to add some sort of footing stabilizer to hopefully combat the mud in the high traffic areas.

Bug in Mud.JPG

@ButtonHoarder Sysco looks like my childhood pony, also named Cisco! :love

She was the best horse ever! And I miss her everyday!

Here's my boy, in the mud. We've had really warm weather and lots of rain! Very un-Winter like weather!

I think in the future I want to add some sort of footing stabilizer to hopefully combat the mud in the high traffic areas.

View attachment 3402885
He’s so cute. I love how you did up his mane.

Back
Top Bottom