ok, random question, and NO I don't plan on breeding my mare. How old is too old to breed? 15? 18? I recently stumbled across a 19 yr old pregnant mare, is that safe?
All pregnancies are a risk. If the mare is in good health, getting proper care and nutrition it can certainly be considered "safe".

You breed any mare at any age there is always a risk of losing the mare, the foal or both.

If a 19 yo mare has had foals before with no complications or problems, you can probably expect the same outcome this time. But it all depends on the mare, the situation and I suppose the Foaling Gods too!

I can't really say how old is "too old" for a mare to foal out, it kind of depends on the horse and their health--and what the breeder(s) feels is right (ethical and fair).

Just my 2 cents.

Lessons are too expensive right now. I don’t have any extra money.
Is there any place local you can trade barn work for rides? Build up a credit! So many hours worked equals 1 lesson! Offer to clean tack, scrub buckets, clean the horse trailer, pick rocks out of paddocks (and poop!), dust cobwebs, turn in, turn out, pick hooves, remove boots, fly masks etc.

Is there any place local you can trade barn work for rides? Build up a credit! So many hours worked equals 1 lesson! Offer to clean tack, scrub buckets, clean the horse trailer, pick rocks out of paddocks (and poop!), dust cobwebs, turn in, turn out, pick hooves, remove boots, fly masks etc.
That’s a good idea! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom