I also agree that it seems like horses are getting bigger. Just 10 years ago a horse over 17 hands seemed like an anomaly. Now they are everywhere.
My opinion, a big part of the reason is scientific advances in feeding and nutrition. It used to be that a colt who grew big too fast was more susceptible to bone/cartilage growth issues like OCD, but these days there are more advanced feeding protocols to prevent some of the problems, so horses of any breed can grow taller and stay sound.
The other part is breeders breeding bigger horses because people seem to just want bigger horses these days - maybe because people are getting bigger in general, and taller at younger ages?
Did anybody else hear about the recent rule change in hunters?! It used to be that "small" hunters were 16h and under, now "small" is going to be considered 16.1 and under. To even out the classes, because the "small" classes didn't get many entries and the "large" classes were huge...which means most people, even juniors, are riding horses over 16h!
So different from when I was showing as a kid in the 70's! Most of us Pony Club kids rode actual ponies, 14.2 and under, and the average height of a working hunter was around 15.2.
Even though I'm tall at 5'10" and have ridden horses of all shapes and sizes in the past, I now prefer to ride horses between 15.2 and 16.2. Partly because I'm used to them, their stride length seems more comfortable and predictable, but also because I've grown old and doubt I could mount a 17.2 horse from the ground without jacking up their back, and mine.

I don't think I'd feel comfortable putting a beginner child on a horse over 16 hh, no matter how gentle the horse may be. One of the lessons anyone must learn is how to fall safely because it WILL happen eventually. That's a long way to the ground on a big horse. All my kids started on hunter ponies. "Graduating" up to a big TB was considered a privilege and a rite of passage. 😂

My opinion, a big part of the reason is scientific advances in feeding and nutrition. It used to be that a colt who grew big too fast was more susceptible to bone/cartilage growth issues like OCD, but these days there are more advanced feeding protocols to prevent some of the problems, so horses of any breed can grow taller and stay sound.
The other part is breeders breeding bigger horses because people seem to just want bigger horses these days - maybe because people are getting bigger in general, and taller at younger ages?
Did anybody else hear about the recent rule change in hunters?! It used to be that "small" hunters were 16h and under, now "small" is going to be considered 16.1 and under. To even out the classes, because the "small" classes didn't get many entries and the "large" classes were huge...which means most people, even juniors, are riding horses over 16h!
So different from when I was showing as a kid in the 70's! Most of us Pony Club kids rode actual ponies, 14.2 and under, and the average height of a working hunter was around 15.2.
Even though I'm tall at 5'10" and have ridden horses of all shapes and sizes in the past, I now prefer to ride horses between 15.2 and 16.2. Partly because I'm used to them, their stride length seems more comfortable and predictable, but also because I've grown old and doubt I could mount a 17.2 horse from the ground without jacking up their back, and mine.
I like those heights too I think but I haven’t ridden much. I’m 5’ 11” so I have to be over 15.2

I don't think I'd feel comfortable putting a beginner child on a horse over 16 hh, no matter how gentle the horse may be. One of the lessons anyone must learn is how to fall safely because it WILL happen eventually. That's a long way to the ground on a big horse. All my kids started on hunter ponies. "Graduating" up to a big TB was considered a privilege and a rite of passage. 😂
Totally agree! Besides the issue of falling, how could a child learn the leg aids and get the proper results on a horse that's too big for them?

How’s everyone over here…? We had behavioral issues with Dakota a little while back but it was totally my fault for not being assertive enough, but now we’re back on track 😁 and she’s back to her silly sassy self
IMG_2488.jpeg
IMG_2413.jpeg
IMG_2410.jpeg
IMG_2415.jpeg
IMG_2105.jpeg
IMG_2084.jpeg
IMG_1565.jpeg
IMG_1569.jpeg
IMG_1570.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom