Horses!!!!!!!!

I have four horses. 2 Arabian's, a Peruvian Paso and Quarter Horse. The whole reason I have Tofu is because of her sister Riceball started hanging out with two of my horses. Khemo loves the chickens, he and Coso the Peruvian guard the chickens from ground predators.
Funny! A horse that protects chickens! I need one of those!

I'm new to BYC and I love horses as well.

I have four. I do all kinds of stuff with them, but probably the most fun is mounted archery!
ep.gif
ep.gif
ep.gif
ep.gif
That's AWESOMMEEE!!! I have ALWAYS wanted to try archery on horseback!!!!!!!!!!! Is it hard?

ep.gif
ep.gif
ep.gif
ep.gif
That's AWESOMMEEE!!! I have ALWAYS wanted to try archery on horseback!!!!!!!!!!! Is it hard?
Well, I can't say it's easy. First there's archery, then there's riding, then there's training a horse to ride with just seat and leg aids, at a gallop ... and then of course they have to be content with the bow. So, it's actually pretty complicated. The two point position and balance on the horse has to be pretty solid. For the back shot you have to twist ... It takes a lot of core strength. I do yoga to help.

I learned mounted archery from the ground first. It takes a special bow and a different release (the way you hold and release arrows) than the standard archery. The bow is very light weight, and smaller, but holds a lot of poundage.

Then once my ground shots were good enough I started shooting from a walk. Then I began training my horse the leg work. As I improved we both improved and we're still learning. Hitting targets from a fast moving horse is definitely a challenge. There's almost no time to aim.

I have another ( an appaloosa) that I'm training right now with the bow. He's pretty good. Fast learner.

A couple more pics.

My Appy's first time with the bow.

It's the most fine I've done with horses, though :D

Last edited:
I guess I'll join in!
I have one horse at the moment, Nova, who is an 8yr old OTTB. I rescued her in January and she was really thin.
But now she's starting to put on some weight!

She's still too bony to be ridden bareback and her back and withers still need to fill out before I can use my saddle on her.

For those of who with a ton of snow on the ground, how do you keep the horses from escaping their yard? The snow is as high as the top strand of the fence (it is electric), which is about waist high, and at night we have to lock them up because they kept getting out.

Well, I can't say it's easy. First there's archery, then there's riding, then there's training a horse to ride with just seat and leg aids, at a gallop ... and then of course they have to be content with the bow. So, it's actually pretty complicated. The two point position and balance on the horse has to be pretty solid. For the back shot you have to twist ... It takes a lot of core strength. I do yoga to help. I learned mounted archery from the ground first. It takes a special bow and a different release (the way you hold and release arrows) than the standard archery. The bow is very light weight, and smaller, but holds a lot of poundage. Then once my ground shots were good enough I started shooting from a walk. Then I began training my horse the leg work. As I improved we both improved and we're still learning. Hitting targets from a fast moving horse is definitely a challenge. There's almost no time to aim. I have another ( an appaloosa) that I'm training right now with the bow. He's pretty good. Fast learner. A couple more pics. My Appy's first time with the bow. It's the most fine I've done with horses, though :D
I would love to do that, but I'd be too scared to. Im a very nervous ridder thanks to my past gelding.

Funny! A horse that protects chickens! I need one of those!
It is rather neat they protect the chickens. Sadly they aren't very effective against owls and hawks. Khemo adores them, to the point of sticking his face in the the chickens to see if they are okay. This has upset a few of them but others seem to think it is pretty neat this huge animal loves and wants to know if they're okay.

Back
Top Bottom